Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question  (Read 2800 times)

jag1229

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« on: March 25, 2004, 12:38:49 PM »
I have received acceptance thus far for every school that I have applied to with the exception of the schools that I truly want to attend.  With the April 1st deadline arriving soon, I am now between a rock and a hard place.  I will have to be hit with the expenditure of sending deposits to my "fall back" schools if I do not hear back from the others before Monday or Tuesday of next week.  During that period of time, the other schools are holding their receptions and law days.  Should I attend the receptions / law days fully knowing that there is a chance that I may not be attending their school?  Let me know your ideas........

Revenant

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 366
    • View Profile
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 01:46:11 PM »
Place a deposit unless you absolutely do not want to attend the schools to which you were accepted.  If rejected by all your desired schools, apply again next year and seek work for the time being. :)

Nicky

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 10:44:02 PM »
Im in the same boat, have already paid two deposits and am waiting on my school of choice.  I even paid the deposits early just for peace of mind.  I plan on attending the reception (at one school) and visiting the other coming up here soon just so I can get a better feel for the schools.  Better, I think, to loose the deposit money then to get stranded from any school---but that is because Ive pretty much made the decision to attend this year and not wait till next.  Good Luck.

Pburgh

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »
Im in the same boat, have already paid two deposits and am waiting on my school of choice.  I even paid the deposits early just for peace of mind.  I plan on attending the reception (at one school) and visiting the other coming up here soon just so I can get a better feel for the schools.  Better, I think, to loose the deposit money then to get stranded from any school---but that is because Ive pretty much made the decision to attend this year and not wait till next.  Good Luck.

I feel for you and the situation you're in...but I think that's a waste of money and it screws people who want are hoping to get in one of those schools.  Couldn't you narrow it to one of them?  Did you have to send in deposits for two schools?  I'm sure there are people who are dying to get into those and you're holding two spots.

thechoson

  • Guest
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 01:29:51 AM »
Im in the same boat, have already paid two deposits and am waiting on my school of choice.  I even paid the deposits early just for peace of mind.  I plan on attending the reception (at one school) and visiting the other coming up here soon just so I can get a better feel for the schools.  Better, I think, to loose the deposit money then to get stranded from any school---but that is because Ive pretty much made the decision to attend this year and not wait till next.  Good Luck.

I feel for you and the situation you're in...but I think that's a waste of money and it screws people who want are hoping to get in one of those schools.  Couldn't you narrow it to one of them?  Did you have to send in deposits for two schools?  I'm sure there are people who are dying to get into those and you're holding two spots.

In my humble opinion, forget that.  You have EARNED the right to hold as many positions as you want and can afford.  Those people who are eagerly awaiting a spot you may be taking so you can arrive at a decision are no more deserving of each spot than you are.  Since you've earned it, I'd say send in deposits to those two schools, and forget what others have to say.

Revenant

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 366
    • View Profile
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »
You seem to forget that there are many other factors other than name alone, the most obvious being financial aid.  Not all aid packages have been sent out, and it's impossible to choose between two similar schools without weighing the costs of attendance.  As well, not everyone lives right by the schools they're applying to.  Takes awhile to check out both schools, especially considering how close to the deadline the letters are coming in.  Granted, I do think it would be thoughtful to quickly decline any schools you have ruled out already -- partially in hopes that other people will be equally as courteous with a school you desire -- but if both are serious considerations, I'm sorry but it's completely within our right to be as thorough as possible (and fyi, i've only made a deposit at one so far).

Besides, it seems everyone thinks that as soon as someone declines a spot, another will open up for someone who has been waitlisted or deferred, to which I have to say, I'm sorry, because schools admit a lot more ppl than they have seats for and consequently, they already expect a certain % of those admittees to accept and decline.  Only when their % estimate is off do they usually start admitting extra students.  Thus, each spot declined = the opening of a fraction of a new spot.  At least this is from what I understand -- I could easily be wrong.

I feel for you and the situation you're in...but I think that's a waste of money and it screws people who want are hoping to get in one of those schools.  Couldn't you narrow it to one of them?  Did you have to send in deposits for two schools?  I'm sure there are people who are dying to get into those and you're holding two spots.

Pburgh

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 01:17:42 PM »
"Besides, it seems everyone thinks that as soon as someone declines a spot, another will open up for someone who has been waitlisted or deferred, to which I have to say, I'm sorry, because schools admit a lot more ppl than they have seats for and consequently, they already expect a certain % of those admittees to accept and decline.  Only when their % estimate is off do they usually start admitting extra students.  Thus, each spot declined = the opening of a fraction of a new spot.  At least this is from what I understand -- I could easily be wrong."

That's a good point...but here is how I see it.  Let's say, Bob is trying to get into a T4 school, but has only heard back from non-ABAs so far.  The T4 already sent out their auto-admits and gave them 30 days to send in a deposit.  Some people sent in their deposits to reserve their spot.  After the 30 days, the T4 school sends out more acceptances to fill the remainder of its seats.  There will be less acceptances to go out if more people send in deposits.  Bob is put on the waitlist.

By the time the schools go to their waitlists, Bob already had to put down a deposit on the non-ABA school.  Even if he is pulled of the waitlist, Bob is committed to the non-ABA, because he doesn't have the money for another deposit. Bob is screwed. 

Is Nicky more deserving of the spot?  Of course, that's why she was accepted early and Bob wasn't.  Does she have the right to send in as many deposit as she wants?  Of course!  I was just stating my opinion that I think it's a waste of money to send in deposits to two schools you might not even attend.  It also adversely affects the plans of other hopefull law students.


Revenant

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 366
    • View Profile
Re: To Go Or Not To Go...That Is The Question
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 02:16:12 PM »
That's a good point...but here is how I see it.  Let's say, Bob is trying to get into a T4 school, but has only heard back from non-ABAs so far.  The T4 already sent out their auto-admits and gave them 30 days to send in a deposit.  Some people sent in their deposits to reserve their spot.  After the 30 days, the T4 school sends out more acceptances to fill the remainder of its seats.  There will be less acceptances to go out if more people send in deposits.  Bob is put on the waitlist.

By the time the schools go to their waitlists, Bob already had to put down a deposit on the non-ABA school.  Even if he is pulled of the waitlist, Bob is committed to the non-ABA, because he doesn't have the money for another deposit. Bob is screwed. 

Is Nicky more deserving of the spot?  Of course, that's why she was accepted early and Bob wasn't.  Does she have the right to send in as many deposit as she wants?  Of course!  I was just stating my opinion that I think it's a waste of money to send in deposits to two schools you might not even attend.  It also adversely affects the plans of other hopefull law students.

If Bob could have paid the $ for the LSAT administration, the law school application fees, the financial aid application fees, the deposit to the backup school, etc. then I would hope he could pay or at least scrounge around for some money, whether via friends, loan, etc. to pay the deposit on the preferred school.  I know I complain about having to put a $1000 non-refundable deposit down even though my top 2 choices haven't responded, but it's a fact of life.  I'm paying the $1000 for the assurance that if I don't get into my top 2, I will get in SOMEWHERE.  And if I get into one of my top 2 before my backup plan starts in May, then I will gladly find a way to pay the extra deposit even though I have $36 left in my checking account after paying all the initial fees.  Worst case scenario, I could get cash advances from my credit cards.

I think the key term or phrase as you pointed out is "might not even attend" but I think the reverse is more revealing.  It is not a waste of money to pay deposits to schools that you might attend, and paying two deposits isn't that big a deal since most people ultimately have to decide between two schools.  If the person had paid 5-10 deposits, then I would have to say he/she should have put more thought into the decision process because I don't think it's possible to have that many in the running.  Almost always getting into a certain school eliminates the need for another.