Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: sinclair broadcasting...nice!  (Read 688 times)

buster

sinclair broadcasting...nice!
« on: October 12, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »
Plan to air divisive film raises questions
By David Lieberman, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — Wall Streeters, political activists and media critics Monday were trying to answer a perplexing question: Why would Sinclair Broadcasting CEO David Smith embroil himself in controversy by ordering his stations to air Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal— a documentary challenging Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's Vietnam service — within days of the presidential election?...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2004-10-11-sinclair_x.htm

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
Re: sinclair broadcasting...nice!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 11:32:47 PM »
Why would Michael Moore choose to release his DVD just weeks before the election?

buster

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 08:39:02 AM »
Do you really think putting a particular DVD on sale weeks before the election is comparable to running a particular program on prime-time broadcast television days before the election?

Why would Michael Moore choose to release his DVD just weeks before the election?

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 01:22:31 PM »
One of the executives for Sinclair was interviewed this morning.  Apparently they have asked Kerry to sit down with them and discuss it.  He has so far refused.

I think it is exactly the same thing.  If you don't like what the documentary has to say, turn the channel.  I don't care for what Michael Moore has to say, so I choose not to watch.

buster

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »
Either Sinclair Broadcasting or Michael Moore receives a license from the federal government granting exclusive use of public airwaves in exchange, in part, for a nominal commitment to serve the public interest. Which is it?

One of the executives for Sinclair was interviewed this morning.  Apparently they have asked Kerry to sit down with them and discuss it.  He has so far refused.

I think it is exactly the same thing.  If you don't like what the documentary has to say, turn the channel.  I don't care for what Michael Moore has to say, so I choose not to watch.

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 02:17:48 PM »
What makes you think that what they are going to air doesn't serve the public interest?  Simply because it is negative to Kerry?

buster

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
No, the fact that it is a non-news piece about Kerry and is airing days before the election. I would say the same if Sinclair had ordered their affiliates to show Fahrenheit 911 or Going Upriver instead.

What makes you think that what they are going to air doesn't serve the public interest?  Simply because it is negative to Kerry?

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 03:12:38 PM »
It would probaby be much more appropriate for it to air on a news show like 60 minutes.

And what makes you think it is not news?  CBS felt a news piece about the President's guard days based on fake documents was news.

buster

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 10:00:56 AM »
I didn't say the contents of the movie aren't newsworthy (I don't know precisely what they are) but that it is not a news piece. It is (theoretically) a documentary.

Regarding 60 Minutes, I assume you are attempting to suggest some hypocrisy on my part. I am, however, contemptuous of CBS's apparent lack of due diligence, so I think my conscience is clear on that one.

It would probaby be much more appropriate for it to air on a news show like 60 minutes.

And what makes you think it is not news?  CBS felt a news piece about the President's guard days based on fake documents was news.

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 11:37:49 AM »
I guess I don't understand.  Sinclair broadcasting is doing a special in which they are going to examine the movie.  Here is the quote from Sinclair Broadcsting's website:

We welcome your comments regarding the upcoming special news event featuring the topic of Americans held as prisoners of war in Vietnam. The program has not been videotaped and the exact format of this unscripted event has not been finalized. Characterizations regarding the content are premature and are based on ill-informed sources.

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry has been invited to participate. You can urge him to appear by calling his Washington, D.C. campaign headquarters at
(202) 712-3000.

They appear to consider it a "newsworthy event" and apparently don't intend to show it in its entirety.  Honestly, I don't like that.  I would rather have it all shown, so they are not able to take anything out of context.