Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you get a JD in the States can you practice in Canada?  (Read 1046 times)

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
If you get a JD in the States can you practice in Canada?
« on: October 12, 2004, 10:50:04 AM »
I really want to go to the states to make some money, but I don't know if I want to end up there. If I do go to the states for law, can I come back and practice here with a JD degree or will I need to do extra work to do so?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: If you get a JD in the States can you practice in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 11:55:03 AM »
coming back to Canada right after law school is really difficult.  The Provincial bar associations make it extremely difficult to pass the bar after studying in the states and they will most likely force you to article for a year.  Also, they might insist that you go to a Canadian law school for 1-2 years.  Canadian firms also prefer to hire Canadian graduates so getting a job is also difficult.

An option you may consider (which is what I'm doing if I get into a US law school), is studying in the states and then practicing in the US for 5-7 years.  After that, returning to Canada won't be that difficult.

There are a number of threads on this topic in the "oh canada" board.  Just go through and read some stuff.  I think it was 'goBlue' ... but anyways, he posted a tonn of useful information on this topic.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 12:13:45 PM »
Cheeks where are you applying?

Also, I have to assume the joint program at Ottawa would make it easier to move back. As I said, I do want to practice in the states for about five years, maybe a bit more before coming home.

I'll look for that other thread.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 12:20:12 PM »
I applied to the t14 in the states - minus Yale, NYU, and NW - and I also applied to UCLA.

In Canada, I applied to UofT, Osgoode, and UBC ... and I'm considering UVic as well but i'm not sure yet.

I'm not sure what that other thread is titled, but it was very informative. It was quite a while ago though ... i think i started it sometime in august prolly.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile