Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I too late? Is anyone else in my situation?  (Read 1916 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Am I too late? Is anyone else in my situation?
« on: March 25, 2004, 09:31:48 AM »
Undergrad: Electrical Engineering (Rutgers)
UGPA: 3.55
LSAT: 159 (Ugh...)

I applied to 4 schools (in order of preference): Rutgers, Seton Hall, UCONN, and Hofstra. My applications were in in February and my LSDAS report was well on its way to being completed sans letters of recommendation. After 2 weeks, I started to get worried that my LORs were not showing up online. I called LSDAS up 3 times and each time, I was met with a cheerful voice on the other end of the phone telling me not to worry. Well, after 4 weeks I had enough and called back demanding to get value for my money. A "supervisor" told me that they had NO RECORD of my letters (which were send certified and received mind you). Wonder of all wonders, LSDAS had lost my letters. Well, to make a long story short (too late - my rant has now digressed to full throttle), I am now awaiting responses from said schools with baited breathe.

My question is this: short of the SNAFU with LSDAS, given my timeframe (right on the deadline) and my undergrad/working credentials, and my lacking LSAT score, can someone give me an estimate on my chances? I'm looking for people who may have applied to these schools as well. Will my engineering background help me "stand out" from the crowd? Did I miss the boat? So many questions for an anxious mind, yet so little space to type. Thank you for your ears and my most heartfelt (yet somewhat admittedly jealous) congratulations to those who have been accepted to the schools of their choice.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

bf3george

• View Profile
Re: Am I too late? Is anyone else in my situation?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 10:05:53 AM »
application timing can be a very big deal.  if your letters of rec aren't at lsdas, then your application likely won't be considered complete at any of the schools to which you have applied.  most places won't even look at your file until it's complete.  you might want to contact each of your schools for process info, too.  in a lot of cases the later you apply the more difficult your chances of acceptance.

then have a beer.

kaftex

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 05:40:51 PM »
I had the same thing happen. My 2nd recommender, one of my former physics profs, sent copies of his LOR to LSAC and a couple of schools that needed special paperwork around mid-Decemberish. The form-requiring schools processed everything straight away, but LSAC didn't show the letter until late February, and no copies were sent before March 1  >:(

In early February I was getting frantic, so I had another prof write a 3rd letter and fax it to LSAC. It showed up online the next day, everything worked out..
but... meh.

I can't help but think that a few more decisions might have gone my way had LSAC's incompetence not prevented my files from being completed earlier.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 07:21:02 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think the Engineering background will stand out.  Too many engineering types applying nowadays.  However, if your UGPA is higher than the avg UGPA at your school (it says on the LSAC report), then it could help.  I know for me, having an above avg GPA for a CSE major at my school didn't help any cuz it was still WAY lower than then avg UGPA coming from the entire school.

Undergrad: Electrical Engineering (Rutgers)
UGPA: 3.55
LSAT: 159 (Ugh...)

I applied to 4 schools (in order of preference): Rutgers, Seton Hall, UCONN, and Hofstra. My applications were in in February and my LSDAS report was well on its way to being completed sans letters of recommendation. After 2 weeks, I started to get worried that my LORs were not showing up online. I called LSDAS up 3 times and each time, I was met with a cheerful voice on the other end of the phone telling me not to worry. Well, after 4 weeks I had enough and called back demanding to get value for my money. A "supervisor" told me that they had NO RECORD of my letters (which were send certified and received mind you). Wonder of all wonders, LSDAS had lost my letters. Well, to make a long story short (too late - my rant has now digressed to full throttle), I am now awaiting responses from said schools with baited breathe.

My question is this: short of the SNAFU with LSDAS, given my timeframe (right on the deadline) and my undergrad/working credentials, and my lacking LSAT score, can someone give me an estimate on my chances? I'm looking for people who may have applied to these schools as well. Will my engineering background help me "stand out" from the crowd? Did I miss the boat? So many questions for an anxious mind, yet so little space to type. Thank you for your ears and my most heartfelt (yet somewhat admittedly jealous) congratulations to those who have been accepted to the schools of their choice.