Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LSAT Advantage with Professor Dave  (Read 1838 times)

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
The LSAT Advantage with Professor Dave
« on: March 25, 2004, 09:14:03 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone bought this book and found it useful.  It has a very high rating on Amazon, but I'm surprised this isn't one of the books that's recommended on the site.

Thanks for all feedbacks.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The LSAT Advantage with Professor Dave
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 09:31:09 AM »
hi olivia,

i've actually had that book recommended to me in the students section, but if you ask anybody about any book, they'll more than likely tell you what they think are the good study books, guides, etc. they're quite friendly about that. ;)

good luck!

aj

p.s. i've been wondering about that book too. :)

hdsteele

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 04:54:39 PM »
I bought the book about 2 weeks ago and have begun to work my way through it.  Once you get past the hokey cover and crayon book appearance it seems to be a very good.  It is  user friendly and very unintimidating which is important to me.  I find some of the study guides VERY imposing and bland.  This one is not.  I have come to the conclusion that a confident attitude is as important as anything on that fateful Saturday morning (or early afternoon).  So far this book is making me think "hey, I can do this....). I like it.  I am signing up for the June LSAT and my approach is  Logic Games Bible and Professor Dave. Practice test, practice test, practice test.  The I will take a practice test. Based on my practice results I will go to the NOVA Master the LSAT book for additional studying.  Then practice test practice test practice test.  Then I will take a practice test.  You get the point.....

CAUTION! I have only begun studying it and have only taken a diagnostic/practice LSAT so just my $.02!!

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 05:28:37 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.  HDSTEELE, you mentioned you've bought the book already..I also bought Master the LSAT...can you see if their approach to LR is similar?  I'm having most trouble on LR so I'm trying to explore different techniques for that section.  Do you think Prof Dave is doing a good job on that or is his approach just the same as the other prep books?  I'm not actually doing any questions from the prep books (eg Kaplan/Princeton) because I know those aren't real LSAT questions.  So I borrowed those books and tried to just learn their techniques, which seems pretty much the same. So if the book's technique only gives the basic idea of what to look for...ie logical fallacy, assumptions, strengthening/weaking evidence, inference, then I probably won't buy the book because I'm pretty aware of the different types.  I actually found the 'Official LSAT with explanations' very useful.  It explains why the other 4 answers aren't right, let you know the difficulty of the question, and suggest an approach for that type of problem.

Thanks again for all your feedbacks

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 08:26:15 PM »
So, HD, Olivia, others...what's the verdict on the Professor Dave book?  Is it good?  I am having a heck of a time with LR questions myself.  I haven't even learned the "types" you guys are refering to.  By the way, I can't tell you how many times it comes down to the final two choices, and I nearly always pick the wrong answer.  Does this book help?  Thanks! ???

LS2005

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 10:07:16 PM »
Hi,

I still haven't bought the book yet...it's just as pricey as the LG Bible and I haven't heard a lot about this book on the forums, except for its positive feedback on Amazon.  But I guess, I probably buy it soon, because I'm not planning to take any course, so even though this book is more expensive than some other prep guides, it's still much cheaper than attending those prep classes.

I also want this book to help me with LR and RC too...hopefully, it'll be able to do that.

hdsteele

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 11:29:10 AM »
I havent gone through the Master the LSAT book yet but a quick glance shows that it gives about 100 more pages of material on the games than does Prof. Dave.  It also seems to break the games into more specific types of games.  Prof. Dave breaks down LG into spatial, grouping and scheduling/assignment.  Master the LSAT breaks them down into 6 categories including hybrid and circular ordering.  If I had to lay money down on it I would thnk that the Master the LSAT went a little deeper but that is just from glancing. 

I posted elsewhere that the Prof. Dave book gave me one thing that is priceless -confidence that I can learn the stuff.  Would I have gotten thgat confidence elsewhere?  I don't know, maybe maybe not.  But Prof. Dave is where I started.  For that I will be forever grateful because the damn thing (LSAT) doesn't scare me anymore.  It can be learned.

One last thing, I dont think you can compare "Master the LSAT" and "Prof. Dave" with the Logic Games Bible because of the obvious.  LGB is ONLY about LG, Master and Dave spend 3/4 of the book in other areas.  I am trying to do all!

Good luck!

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »
Appreciate it.  One thing--I am particularly interested in improving on LR questions.  How good is Prof. Dave's book on that?

Brazil Boy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »
I can't comment on the merits of the Professor Dave LSAT book as I haven't it used it, but I got the distinct impression that the many positive reviews on Amazon were bogus and posted by a single individual: they just seemed to similar to each other in style and content. Besides, the fact that the book seems to have been designed to appeal to third-graders is downright bizarre, given that taking the LSAT is intrinsically an adult endeavor.

For all that, I could be wrong and the book could be excellent.

nathanielmark

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »
I do believe that "Professor Dave" is a big proponent of stadiumpal to gain an LSAT atvantage.

www.stadiumpal.com