Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of Chicago waitlist  (Read 1352 times)

drpepper

• View Profile
U of Chicago waitlist
« on: March 25, 2004, 06:50:20 AM »
Does anyone have any word on the chances of getting off the U chicago waitlist, or is anyone on it?  I was put on it 3 weeks ago and I am trying to make some decisions, does anyone know the average size of the waitlist? or any info at all about Chicago.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: U of Chicago waitlist
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 07:15:53 PM »
I and a friend were both waitlisted at Chicago ... don't know anyone who got in...

drpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 08:04:04 PM »
Do you have any sense as to how big the waitlist is or how much action it sees.  I know a few people that have got on it in the passed years, as a matter of fact two of the three people that I know that went recently got called off the waitlist in June.  Maybe thats a good sign.  From the letter it sounded like it was less about scores now as it was up to demographics, what do you think?

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 09:11:17 PM »
The letter definitely did make it seem like it was more about a 'balanced' class than a ranked waitlist (though it did also mention LSAT and GPA) ... no sense as to how big the waitlist is, but anecdotally it doesn't seem like a good sign that I don't know anyone who got in.

On the other hand, given that they have a small class and probably share a lot of admittees with Harvard Columbia NYU et. al. (which are all ranked higher in US News, though it is questionable whether they are superior schools) it makes sense for them to use the waitlist pretty extensively (since it adds uncertainty to their expected yield).

Just wondering ... when did you apply? Have you applied / heard back from other 'Top 5' schools? What are your thoughts on submitting supplemental letters or recommendations? From the fact that they explicitly allow it in the letter I infer that it is probably helpful.