Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Ottawa Joint Program with American University in Washington  (Read 3353 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Ottawa Joint Program with American University in Washington
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 09:11:04 PM »
haha .. yeah, my grades this semester is spiraling downwards. 

Gelli

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 01:35:57 AM »
So, why is Windsor such a bad school? I know they have a different application system. Someone fill me in?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 11:49:12 AM »
windsor law sucks! hahaha .. well, the administration at windsor law sucks.  I have no opinion on their actual program because i know nothing about it.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 12:07:14 PM »
windsor law sucks! hahaha .. well, the administration at windsor law sucks.  I have no opinion on their actual program because i know nothing about it.

They posted numbers that I cannot find anymore, but their graduates seem as successful on Bay Street as Dal and UofO graduates, and more unsucessful than UofT/Osgoode/Western/Queens (in that order).  Employment in all sectors was almost 100%, so I would say it's by no means a bad place.

Administration sucks at all schools Cheeks, I thought you knew that by now  :)
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2004, 12:19:23 PM »

They posted numbers that I cannot find anymore, but their graduates seem as successful on Bay Street as Dal and UofO graduates, and more unsucessful than UofT/Osgoode/Western/Queens (in that order).  Employment in all sectors was almost 100%, so I would say it's by no means a bad place.

Administration sucks at all schools Cheeks, I thought you knew that by now  :)

come on! ... you really think UofW's placement is better on bay street then UofT?

School's can totally manipulate those stats.  There's a timmys at Bay and Bloor, that's where UofW grads are placing!

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2004, 03:01:41 PM »
Cheeks, tsk tsk tsk.  I said Windsor is more unsucessful than UofT/Osgoode/Queens/Western, from most placement to last placement, meaning that Windsor ties Ottawa in the province for having the lowest percentage of Bay Street placement.  Still very high employment overall, although most schools are placing okay in this category (interestingly enough, UofT and Western are best placers, not UofT and Osgoode). 

I have heard things are really bad in maritimes right now, but I'm not sure if that's for total placement or placement in the maritimes.  If the former, UNB just became a whole lot less attractive.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2004, 04:28:25 PM »
ohhhhhh ... yeah, i was so ready to jump down UofW's throat on that one!  yeah, the big law maritime market isn't exactly booming either i suppose.

On the employment note ...

if you're going to law school in Canada, I think you really need to be concerned about placement after graduation.  It's super hard to get a job these days.  I know an Osgoode grad. who was recently downsized from her firm after her articling and she was top 1/3 of her class. 

This prolly applies more to corporate stuff.  But that's what we all care about right??  ;)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 05:05:15 PM »
ohhhhhh ... yeah, i was so ready to jump down UofW's throat on that one!  yeah, the big law maritime market isn't exactly booming either i suppose.

On the employment note ...

if you're going to law school in Canada, I think you really need to be concerned about placement after graduation.  It's super hard to get a job these days.  I know an Osgoode grad. who was recently downsized from her firm after her articling and she was top 1/3 of her class. 

This prolly applies more to corporate stuff.  But that's what we all care about right??  ;)

Hahaha, no!  If you ask me, the government is perfectly competitive.  9-5 (sometimes a bit more) plus 4 weeks vacation at least.  Sounds like a deal to me.

Jobs aren't that horrible except for large BIGLAW and larger mid-size.  But even that's supposed to change drastically by 2010. 
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 05:15:18 PM »
that'll still put me at 2 years of unemployment where i can't make payment on my 1000/month law school loans! :D