Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Ottawa Joint Program with American University in Washington  (Read 3354 times)

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
What does everyone think about this program? It's a real cheap way to get a US Degree but it takes an extra year. Getting a degree in both Canada and the US might be good, but I'm not sure how well received this degree would be in either country. I am going to law school with the intention of going in to politics eventually. If I practice law it will be international law.

Any thoughts?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What does everyone think about this program? It's a real cheap way to get a US Degree but it takes an extra year. Getting a degree in both Canada and the US might be good, but I'm not sure how well received this degree would be in either country. I am going to law school with the intention of going in to politics eventually. If I practice law it will be international law.

Any thoughts?

It would be recieved well in Canada like most Canadian degrees, and it would be recieved like a Tier 2 degree.  You get BOTH degrees and employers will almost certainly look at a different degree depending where you're applying.  If you're applying to Canada, firms won't care about the JD part, and if you're applying to US, firms won't care for the LLB part.  It is a rather CHEAP way of getting a US degree, that's for sure.
No longer here.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
Do you actually get the JD from American or is it Ottawa giving you a JD in the same manner that UoT gives you a JD? Not sure that a JD from Ottawa would mean anything, but American is a Tier II school that I really like. If I applied to American schools it would certainly be on my list. The Ottawa website doesn't seem to make that clear, you have any info?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do you actually get the JD from American or is it Ottawa giving you a JD in the same manner that UoT gives you a JD? Not sure that a JD from Ottawa would mean anything, but American is a Tier II school that I really like. If I applied to American schools it would certainly be on my list. The Ottawa website doesn't seem to make that clear, you have any info?

It's an actual ABA approved JD from American.
No longer here.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
I was doing some more looking at the site, and I saw that there are only three spots for the joint program. How competitive do you think that will be? Is shooting for one of three spots completely out of reach for me?

As I said, GPA around 3.3, LSATs likely 165+, tons of volunteer work almost entirely in politics, decent references etc. Still, is this even feasible?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I was doing some more looking at the site, and I saw that there are only three spots for the joint program. How competitive do you think that will be? Is shooting for one of three spots completely out of reach for me?

As I said, GPA around 3.3, LSATs likely 165+, tons of volunteer work almost entirely in politics, decent references etc. Still, is this even feasible?

For Ottawa, the volunteer experience is excellent.  I would think not that many people apply for this every year, so I'd say you have a good shot.
No longer here.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
God I hope so, this would be my very first choice of any program. Money, for me at least, is an enormous issue. I get zero dollars and zero cents from my parents. On top of that, I will be in school all summer to graduate in time, so I will have pretty much no savings. 30k US a year, then, is absolutely impossible. But I really want to go to the States for school...and sadly I don't think I'm in the running for a free ride unless I'm willing to go tier III. And it's not just that it's a US School, American is top ten for Internation Law (which is what I want to do) and in DC (given my obsession with politics, a huge plus).

Anyone know of any other joint programs besides the shockingly bad one at Windsor?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
God I hope so, this would be my very first choice of any program. Money, for me at least, is an enormous issue. I get zero dollars and zero cents from my parents. On top of that, I will be in school all summer to graduate in time, so I will have pretty much no savings. 30k US a year, then, is absolutely impossible. But I really want to go to the States for school...and sadly I don't think I'm in the running for a free ride unless I'm willing to go tier III. And it's not just that it's a US School, American is top ten for Internation Law (which is what I want to do) and in DC (given my obsession with politics, a huge plus).

Anyone know of any other joint programs besides the shockingly bad one at Windsor?

I believe that's it but I could be wrong.

As for US, remember that although the cost is huge comparatively, a lot of people do it without any help.  It's especially a good option if you really want to go for the top $$$.  On the other hand, if you want a public service, maybe a government job, there's lots more opportunity for it in Canada.
No longer here.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
What I really want to do is to go to the States for top money for a few years and come back after I've made some money. I'd also come back as soon as I had a male kid -- no decent hockey programs down there.

How exactly can anyone afford 30k US / year tuition on your own? That would come out to over 50k / year Cnd all told. That's unreal.

I also noticed that the website says that you can change the order of your years after the first year. So instead of going O-O-A-A, you could go O-A-O-A or.. O-A-A-O. Now, my question is do you think they give you both degrees after year four, or could one go O-A-A and get their JD after year threee and mysteriously decide not to finish up your Canadian degree?

Also, any ideas on how hard it is to transfer from a Canadian school to an American one after year one or two? Would it involve extra classes? What if I did a semester abroad at that school like Osgoode offers first?

I know you don't think I have a good chance at Osgoode, but they have special category for students with medical problems and other problems which I fit in to, so my GPA won't hurt me as much there (I hope...). As such, would it be possible for me to do first year at Osgoode, third semester there and then fourth semester in the states and then transfer to that school?

I should ave been thinking about this a year ago, but I only decided on law school in September. Studied for the LSATs for two weeks. This is all pretty rushed and I need some help...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What I really want to do is to go to the States for top money for a few years and come back after I've made some money. I'd also come back as soon as I had a male kid -- no decent hockey programs down there.

How exactly can anyone afford 30k US / year tuition on your own? That would come out to over 50k / year Cnd all told. That's unreal.

The problem with this is that most people expect to stay and live there permanently.  This means that if you're consistently making more money, then a huge tuition isn't as big a problem.  But then again, money in Canada isn't exactly bad and you don't get into such big debt, so it's questionable what is better (unless you can get into a T14 school in the US; also remember that if government is what you're thinking of, Canada actually offers higher salary than the states).  Paying debt for a US law school but practicing in Canada I would say is unreal and pretty much suicide.

I also noticed that the website says that you can change the order of your years after the first year. So instead of going O-O-A-A, you could go O-A-O-A or.. O-A-A-O. Now, my question is do you think they give you both degrees after year four, or could one go O-A-A and get their JD after year threee and mysteriously decide not to finish up your Canadian degree?

I would say that they almost certainly would not let you.

Also, any ideas on how hard it is to transfer from a Canadian school to an American one after year one or two? Would it involve extra classes? What if I did a semester abroad at that school like Osgoode offers first?

I think that this is almost impossible.  Transfering between schools in the US is hard enough from a US school to a US school, let alone from Canada to US.  I do believe that a few schools in the US do have an option like that, but it's so much hassle and extra work/studying/tuition that you'd be better off to just apply straight to a US school.

I know you don't think I have a good chance at Osgoode, but they have special category for students with medical problems and other problems which I fit in to, so my GPA won't hurt me as much there (I hope...). As such, would it be possible for me to do first year at Osgoode, third semester there and then fourth semester in the states and then transfer to that school?

Obviously if you have solid special circumstances, then obviously you probably have a pretty good chance at Osgoode.  While I really don't see you transfering to a US school, do remember that quite a sizeable contigent of Osgoode grads do find jobs in NYC so if this is where you want to work in the US, this is certainly an option.

I should ave been thinking about this a year ago, but I only decided on law school in September. Studied for the LSATs for two weeks. This is all pretty rushed and I need some help...

Hey, I understand that.  I decided to take a year off at first but about a month and a half ago decided to apply this year too, so I know how you feel.
No longer here.