Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please Help!  (Read 1178 times)

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
Please Help!
« on: October 11, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »
I am at a complete loss.  Since taking the LSAT Oct 2nd I have been in such a haze that I cannot even begin my personal statement.  I've had writer's block for the past month and a half (pretty extreme, I know) but I am at the point where I know I have to write this thing.  Unfortunately, I'm feeling pretty down about it all, and I cannot find anything that seems to stick out in my mind to write about.  I've checked several websites with ideas but none of them seem to click.  I really feel like I have led a pretty boring life, even though I'm sure that's not true.  My statement is going to have to be a strong one with my 3.4 GPA and God-knows-what LSAT score.  Anyone have any ideas (other than the conventional "make a list of your qualtities")?  I would really appreciate it!

Stephanie
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 03:10:26 PM »
I had a little trouble too.  This might help:  Think of a couple of situations in your life that really stand out in your memory.  This could be a graduation, death, birth, or just a moment that you shared with someone special.  Whatever.  Make a list of those moments and then think about how they have affected the person you have become and the choices you make now.  Not all of them will have affected you all that much, but I'd be willing to bet that there's at least ONE that has had an impact on you. 

Not all of us can be first-gen immigrants who had to learn English and take care of our sick families while working five jobs and maintaining straight A's.  If you fall into a more vanilla category of applicant, just think of why and how you ended up at this point in your life and write about that.  Just be sure to keep it personal and NOT re-state your resume.  I hope this helps, I know how much this stage of the process sucks, I almost worried myself into a nut house. Best of luck!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:06:52 PM »
THank you so much for your response! I think I may have a general idea of what I want to write about now, it's just a matter of sitting down, organizing my thoughts, and making it all make sense! Thank you again!

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 08:20:08 PM »
No problem, coming up with that first idea is always the hardest.  Good luck!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 03:38:21 PM »
Try and describe one event and tie that in to law school.  I think people try to take on too much in the 2 pages we are allotted and waste the valuable space just trying to get all the facts straight.  I think a well-written statement that sheds light on your character is the best way to go if you have no odd qualities. 
However, if your life really is mediocre and mundane, why don't you take time off and live a little!  You've got your whole life to work--what about exapnding the old horizons?  (I know this is wasted advice, but I really think interesting experiences are valuable in all aspects of life.)

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 08:02:15 PM »
Stephanie-We are in the exact same position-i took the oct. lsat and my gpa is about the same as yours.  I have also not yet begun my personal statement.  if you find any sources for ideas please please let me know! thanks
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 08:08:34 PM »
Try and describe one event and tie that in to law school.  I think people try to take on too much in the 2 pages we are allotted and waste the valuable space just trying to get all the facts straight.  I think a well-written statement that sheds light on your character is the best way to go if you have no odd qualities. 
However, if your life really is mediocre and mundane, why don't you take time off and live a little!  You've got your whole life to work--what about exapnding the old horizons?  (I know this is wasted advice, but I really think interesting experiences are valuable in all aspects of life.)

That's actually not a half-bad idea.  When I get my LSAT score in a couple of weeks, I am seriously considering re-evaluating my situation and seeing if taking time off to do a few things I want to do would be more benefitial. Thank you for your advice .. you kind of shed light on an option that I kind of forgot I had :)

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 08:09:41 PM »
Stephanie-We are in the exact same position-i took the oct. lsat and my gpa is about the same as yours.  I have also not yet begun my personal statement.  if you find any sources for ideas please please let me know! thanks

And apparently we go to the same school!  Did you take the test at the Haley Center?    If I come up with anything really good, I will let you know.  What is your major at Auburn?

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 08:23:41 PM »
Hey! yes I took it at the Haley center! did you do any of the test prep courses?? im a public admin major..u??
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 08:57:49 PM »
No, I didn't .. but I should have! haha

I'm a criminology major. I know it's like a joke, but I really want to be a criminal lawyer...

Yeah, there was a weirdo guy in my room for the test complained about the desks being too small in the HC.  Quite humorous!