;

Author Topic: $$$$  (Read 4433 times)

omake_don

• i'm going to law school, but i'd rather be a ninja
    • View Profile
    • Email
$$$$
« on: October 11, 2004, 05:24:32 PM »
anyone know where i can find out what the avg pay is like for 1st year grads out of canadian law schools ala the US news rankings for US schools?

i'm trying to pick between some american schools and UofT and i just don't know how competitive $$$ wise UT is

thanks
i'm spicy in that non-offensive and mysterious way that all the ladies.. SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: $$$$
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »
You won't find the information, as it isn't compiled.

However:

http://www.zsa.ca/En/

This will tell you the starting salaries for large, medium, and small firms.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 09:08:53 PM »
as a quick reference, average starting salary doing big law in Canada = 90,000 CAD; US = 125,000 USD

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 09:27:56 PM »
as a quick reference, average starting salary doing big law in Canada = 90,000 CAD; US = 125,000 USD

True, except keep also in mind that this number does not include the one year articleship after LS which pays considerably less (~60 000 for a bigger sized firm in TO), whereas the US number is what you get when you're out.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 09:39:58 PM »
true that.

so i found out on the weekend that I have an 'in' at Goodman.  I'm pretty pumped about that.  I just have to call for an interview ... I'm hoping for a summer internship but that's prolly wishful thinking.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 09:47:55 PM »
true that.

so i found out on the weekend that I have an 'in' at Goodman.  I'm pretty pumped about that.  I just have to call for an interview ... I'm hoping for a summer internship but that's prolly wishful thinking.

You sir are SHITING ME!
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 09:49:23 PM »
well, its not a job offer!! hahaha

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 09:54:22 PM »
well, its not a job offer!! hahaha

Still, who phones up and gets an interview at a Seven Sisters firm like that?  Who?  Nobody, that's right!  Not to mention this is a first-hand experience of finding out the behind-the-scenes BIGLAW life before you actually need to commit to any of it.  Even an anti-BIGLAW guy like me is super envious of you right now.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 09:57:57 PM »
haha, well, thanks ...

It's definitely would be awesome experience if I could get a position or anythign with a company like that.  blah .. have you writen any applications yet?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 10:02:54 PM »
I've done exactly nothing ever since the LSAT.  I am slacking in school completely pretending that I don't even go (part-time is SUCH a curse), law school personal statements are not all done, etc. etc.  Really bad overall.

Good luck on the interview, BTW.
No longer here.