Law School Discussion

Photo for Law School App??

Photo for Law School App??
« on: October 11, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »
A certain school (which I wanted to use as a safety) asks for a photograph along with the application.  I've never come across this.  What do you all think of this requirement?

jgomez

Re: Photo for Law School App??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 12:13:14 PM »
I never heard of that, but if you want to go there, you have no choice right?  They're going to have your ss#, address, check account number from your deposit check, so a picture is not going to do any more damage in that regards.

it's probably to see if you look like a certain race/ethnicity

A certain school (which I wanted to use as a safety) asks for a photograph along with the application.  I've never come across this.  What do you all think of this requirement?

louieleftwing

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 12:31:29 PM »
Make sure that the app doesn't say you'll be required to send in a photo upon acceptance or enrollment or something like that.

I don't know of any schools that require one to send a photo with their app before a decision is made. What if the applicant had a messed up face and the "looks" automatically affected the attitude with which the reviewer reviewed the app. They try to avoid any situations like that.

louieleftwing

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 12:33:49 PM »
What's the school anyway? now I'm curious.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 12:36:44 PM »
Southern University Law Center in Baton Rouge, La.

newy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 01:14:53 PM »
don't SULC, just send in the picture.  :D :D :D  i just kill myself sometimes. 

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 03:54:04 PM »
Allot of HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) like Southern ask for your picture because they want to make sure that the school has a high enough % of blacks that attend. There is also some historical aspect to the picture that they requested. Some of the most prestigious HBCUs were for light skinned blacks only. Before you could be  admitted to Morehouse, Spelman, and Southern for example; you had to pass the paper bag test. If your skin was/is darker than a paper bag then you could/can't go to the school. Louisiana blacks are definitely very color conscious and color consciousness still exist in the deep south although the friction is not as volatile today. A light skinned black will definitely have greater access to the little resources available to blacks in Louisiana due to the color of his/her skin. The upper class blacks are "reb bones". I'm a graduate of an HBCU, Morehouse College, and I had to send a picture to them as well. Some things never change.       

john6675

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 03:58:12 PM »
All of the law school advice books that I've looked at suggest sending in a picture to every law school you apply to- even if they don't ask for it.  Supposedly, psychology plays a role.  It's much more difficult to reject someone if you can see their face. 

Just think about it- what's easier, a breakup over the phone or in person?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 04:02:37 PM »
All of the law school advice books that I've looked at suggest sending in a picture to every law school you apply to- even if they don't ask for it.  Supposedly, psychology plays a role.  It's much more difficult to reject someone if you can see their face. 

Just think about it- what's easier, a breakup over the phone or in person?

That's crazy. What if you are a very very dark skinned black and you want to go to a white school? As soon as they see that picture they will be like Hell No! That's not a good idea at all.   

john6675

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »
I would think that advertising the fact that you're URM would be an asset in that case.

And as far as your example, I agree that often African-Americans do separate themselves on the shade of their skin.  (I've heard some of my students do it to each other- in the sense that the lighter their skin, the better they were.  Needless to say, I was shocked.)  But I believe that is something that mostly resides in the African-American community.

Sadly, the racism of white people is much more simplistic- black bad, white good.

I don't think an white admitting official would look at a picture of a "very very dark skinned black" and say to her friend:

"But he's so dark... let's let in this lighter colored black person."
White racist people just aren't that complex.