Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 2451 times)

l3x

• View Profile
    • Email
is this normal?
« on: October 11, 2004, 02:25:11 PM »
I dont know where to put this, but I am still in high school so ill put it here.  I read this about the University of Texas Law School at Austin..is this how things are at all schools or just this one:

The class meeting times are set by the administration and faculty and are spread throughout the week with at least two classes each day. No changes to the schedule or reduction in course load will be made because of personal convenience or outside employment. The faculty believes that students should not engage in outside employment during the first year of law study because it tends to weaken the first-year educational experience and lower law school performance.

newy

Re: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 04:19:33 PM »
This recommendation not to work your first year is normal for most schools.  I don't think they can MAKE you not work, but they can sure make it inconvenient.

TheDecline

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 04:57:36 PM »
I think there is a restriction on the amount of part time hours you can work.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 05:00:33 PM »
why are you worried about this while you're in HS?  i hope it's just curiosity :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

jayhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 05:27:02 PM »
I asked an Admissions Rep. about working during law school, and she replied that not only is it not recommended, but it's also against the rules.  If you are found to be working during 1L more than the maximum number of hours (which is something really low, I think 6 hours per week) the school could lose it's ABA accreditation (sp?).

newy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:31:01 PM »
when i was at Hastings info day, this guy asked "do you have to sign something that says you aren't going to work?" and the director of admissions said "no, but it't frowned upon." 

how are they going to catch you working anyway?  just don't work at starbucks next to campus.

l3x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 05:54:15 PM »
um yeah it is sort of curiousity..im reading into this lawyer thing..i know what your thinking, things change. ive heard it over and over and i too know things can change...last month i wanted to be an air traffic controller after the air force! now i want to go to college and be a lawyer ahha...anyway..so there is no 1L recruiting season during the summer?

newy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 05:57:05 PM »
13x-

Yes, do enjoy college.
No, don't be obsessed with law school (until a few months before you take your LSAT).
But, by all means, plan ahead as much as possible.  I know I would have done a few things differently had I known the way things work in advance.

DOWNY

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 05:26:00 AM »
You should certainly plan ahead- otherwise you might end up at a T.T.T., at which case your life will become meaningless.