Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: jacques derrida  (Read 911 times)

lexylit

jacques derrida
« on: October 11, 2004, 12:18:13 AM »
passed away yesterday  :'(

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=58&story_id=12713&name=Death+of+French+philosopher+Derrida

i don't know how much it means to non-theory-nerds, but all reasons i now live in southern california and most of what i've written in the past three years are both traceable to JD. pretty huge  :-\

gobears

Re: jacques derrida
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 12:58:38 AM »
Yikes, I hadn't heard.  That is sad news. :(

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:07:16 AM »
I heard Derrida give a talk when I spent a semester at Oxford. I really really wanted to be impressed and to learn a lot.  I didn't understand a word he said, however, and I don't think anyone else did either.  You have to hand it to the man for being able to command the attention of 700 people for a full hour even though no one knows what the hell he is talking about.

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:57:44 AM »
do you speak french?

i couldnt really understand him when he spoke either, because it was a mumbly theory-heavy kind of frenglish, but i think he's the reason that the dept at uci is so incredible and the reason so much money goes through and the faculty are all rockstars, so he's the reason i moved out here for grad school.

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 02:09:12 AM »
I don't speak French.  He spoke in English.  I think.

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:11:53 AM »

i know. i meant to say that his english seemed to be liberally peppered with french (and with theory jargon in french/english hybrid), so it mightve made him easier for francophones to understand.

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 02:21:17 AM »

i know. i meant to say that his english seemed to be liberally peppered with french (and with theory jargon in french/english hybrid), so it mightve made him easier for francophones to understand.

I was so shocked.  Very tragic.

French philosophers are always difficult to understand.

The only solace I have is that Baudrillard is still alive.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 02:26:32 AM »
meanwhile im watching the news and i would estimate theyve said "christopher reeve" 20 times in 20 mins, but no derrida shoutout  :-\

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 02:38:50 AM »
meanwhile im watching the news and i would estimate theyve said "christopher reeve" 20 times in 20 mins, but no derrida shoutout  :-\

Remember '97?  Lady Di and Mother Theresa both died, and no one said anything about Mother Theresa.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

superiorlobe

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

Remember '97?  Lady Di and Mother Theresa both died, and no one said anything about Mother Theresa.

Same thing happend in 1963 with JFK and C.S. Lewis