Law School Discussion

Private Tutor option for Kaplan/ Pr. etc.

Private Tutor option for Kaplan/ Pr. etc.
« on: March 24, 2004, 03:49:41 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone had any experience using the "private tutor" option with the various prep courses: Kaplan, PR, Testmasters? If so was it worth the extra money?

::)

Re: Private Tutor option for Kaplan/ Pr. etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »
i used a private tutor from princeton

well worth the extra grand

WELL worth

they have the best tutors for private tutoring imo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 07:55:03 PM »
caracalla - I was thinking along the same lines too.  I'm currently in the Kaplan class, however I was contemplating supplementing that with a PR tutor.  What do people think about that?  Would that be a good way to combine techniques or would it just mess with my brain and cause more harm than good?  Thanks

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 08:29:57 PM »
ND JD:

Would they give you a discount since you already signed up for the class room portion. I would say if you have the extra money to spare it can't really hurt, can it? When I took the GRE Several years ago I took a class too and it was helpful, but I know how my mind works and that is why I am considering the P. Tutor option for the LSAT since the LSAT score is such a big deal.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 09:22:58 PM »
How do you compensation for all of that when you don't have money to throw around?  I want to be tutored but it sounds to me as if a private tutor and a classroom session together would run around 3 grand.  What normal person has that much money to throw around?  Are there other options or ways to get help cheaper?

dta

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 10:09:32 PM »
Buy all the previously released LSAT's. Between now and the June LSAT take them all. After you take each LSAT don't stop there. Review your work. For every single question that you got wrong, or guessed correctly on, or otherwise felt "iffy" on bust out the pen and paper. Write a couple of paragraphs on why the credited response is the correct one. If you think the LSAT answer is wrong and you are right, let it go. Try to creatively imagine a way that the credited response is correct and articulate it, not verbally, but by actually writing it down on paper.

This is a laborious process. It will take you about 5-6 hours to take an LSAT and self-review it in the manner described. Do this at least 4 times a week.

I've been doing the above process for the last 6 weeks and have improved from a 151 to a 165. You don't need $ to improve your score, but you do need willpower, time, and a willingness to put in the study hours.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 10:50:14 AM »
princeton cost me 2 grand
kaplan cost me 1 grand
law school advisor cost me 1 grand

i spent a lot (errr my parents did) and it WAS well worth the investment

the classes are a waste, it is not 1 on 1 attention and that sucks ass...but im sure if you really try hard you'll do fine, just learn all the tips you can from people

dta

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 11:07:33 PM »
i'm curious i33tlizz - what was your score on the first LSAT practice exam you took and what was your final LSAT score? I was thinkking about taking both the PR and Kaplan courses but thought that was a little overboard.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 06:36:07 AM »
From what I've heard you'd might think about taking either Powerscore and Testmasters. They are both longer than the Kaplan and PR courses, I think.

i'm curious i33tlizz - what was your score on the first LSAT practice exam you took and what was your final LSAT score? I was thinkking about taking both the PR and Kaplan courses but thought that was a little overboard.