Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Davis v. Hastings - which is better?  (Read 2754 times)

Lima

Davis v. Hastings - which is better?
« on: December 08, 2001, 05:02:03 AM »
If you had a choice of UC Davis or UC Hastings, where would you go?  Davis is ranked a little higher in US news, but it's in Davis.  Who wants to live in Davis?  Does anyone know anything about the reputations of these schools?  I would think Davis would have more alumi in the state government since it is so close to Sacramento.  Any advice is welcome.

TK

Re: Davis v. Hastings - which is better?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2001, 08:53:49 AM »
Hastings is definitely a better school that Davis.  Don't believe US news for a minute (or look at an older ranking).  There must have been a glitch in their computer or something, no way Davis is better than Hastings.  If you have a choice you should go to Hastings - no question.

john M.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2002, 06:05:14 PM »
I rather attend the u.c. Davis.
One my best friend's grandfather is a judge at L.A. Supreme Court. He told me that UC davis has a strong network in CA.
Also, he said that uc davis is well-known within the legal profession.
Just as a side note, i am in at both.
and i am going to attend the u.c. davis this fall.
i do not regret my decision at all.
good luck everyone! :D

tad

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 11:30:50 AM »
I was accepted at both of these schools (as well as USC, George Washington w/ 10k a year, Fordham, and several others.  I am choosing Davis for many reasons.  The price is right, just as it would be at Hastings (except for the fact that rent prices in San Fran are insane).  A smaller class interests me.  I have spoken with several people from Davis and they all love the environment.  It is supposed to be very laid back.  The bar passage rate is extremely high.These are a few of the many reasons.  I think the assertion that Hastings is "definitely better" is at best a questionable assessment of an inherently subjective measurement.

darkboy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 08:08:28 AM »
I am applying this fall to both of these schools.  What were your numbers (gpa, lsat)? I want to know if I have a chance of getting in.

tad

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 06:19:32 AM »
I had a 3.43 and a 168

CornellGoodGuy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 09:34:20 AM »

It depends.  Hastings is in San Francisco, much better for networking if you are trying to work for top 10 SF, Palo Alto etc firms.  More alums in private firms also.  Davis is good for public law, clerking in Sacramento etc.  

Oh yeah, Hastings median private sector salary is bananas--as high as top 20's like Boalt. I also chose Hastings over Davis, before I got into G-town.  Check my post on 1rst page and weigh in--Hastings vs Georgetown PT, I must decide by Friday.