Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: no blood for oil at $54 per barrel  (Read 2685 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: no blood for oil at $54 per barrel
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2004, 10:37:25 PM »
israel cannot be reasonably compared to iraq.

Israeli human rights violations are nowhere near as extreme as those under Sadaam. I doubt that anyone would say otherwise. But while the brutality in Iraq was the work of one despotic regime, Israel's brutality is the work of many different democratically elected leaders(although some Israeli PMs have been serious about ending human rights violations).

hmm...there have been human rights violations since the beginning of time...
extreme or not so extreme...its all extreme.

there are places on earth where there are just flat out NO human rights.

so..mention israel mention damascus mention belfast mention belgrade mention bagdad mention saigon...mention new york city.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2004, 11:21:11 PM »
so, ms. amarain, why so down on the u.s.? there ARE democrats in control since 2000 as well, ya know.  don't be too worried.
I'm afraid your posts are a bit too disjointed for me to follow at the moment (really tired), but I thought I'd address this one part since it was specifically directed towards me. I'm not really down on the US specifically - in fact, I feel pretty damn lucky to be an American and I support my country in general. but there are some US policies that I cannot condone, and I feel it's my responsibility to at least be somewhat knowledgable about them and speak out when I don't agree. That's what democracy is all about (yes, I know technically it's not a democracy, blah blah). I'm neither a Republican nor Democrat, so I'm kind of confused by that remark too. I have certain ideas and believe in certain principles, so I support politicans who act in accordance with my beliefs. Their party affiliation is unimportant to me.

Just because there have been human rights violations since the beginning of time doesn't mean they're OK. Slavery has been around a long time, but it doesn't mean it's a good thing. I don't think it's really fair to compare New York City to either Baghdad or Belgrade. Clearly there are some places where human rights violations are worse than others.

Koga, I totally agree with you, btw.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2004, 03:57:23 PM »
so, ms. amarain, why so down on the u.s.? there ARE democrats in control since 2000 as well, ya know.  don't be too worried.
I'm afraid your posts are a bit too disjointed for me to follow at the moment (really tired), but I thought I'd address this one part since it was specifically directed towards me. I'm not really down on the US specifically - in fact, I feel pretty damn lucky to be an American and I support my country in general. but there are some US policies that I cannot condone, and I feel it's my responsibility to at least be somewhat knowledgable about them and speak out when I don't agree. That's what democracy is all about (yes, I know technically it's not a democracy, blah blah). I'm neither a Republican nor Democrat, so I'm kind of confused by that remark too. I have certain ideas and believe in certain principles, so I support politicans who act in accordance with my beliefs. Their party affiliation is unimportant to me.

Just because there have been human rights violations since the beginning of time doesn't mean they're OK. Slavery has been around a long time, but it doesn't mean it's a good thing. I don't think it's really fair to compare New York City to either Baghdad or Belgrade. Clearly there are some places where human rights violations are worse than others.

Koga, I totally agree with you, btw.

ms. amarain, aye can tell you are not down on usa but people have been bringing in usa policy whenever there is some action in the world. and understandably so...but when aye'm talking about the murder of the kurds...please lets not slide them to the side and talk about the usa policy.

i'll talk later
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare