Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: no blood for oil at $54 per barrel  (Read 2696 times)

AaronJ

Re: no blood for oil at $54 per barrel
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 09:55:30 PM »
this is a little off topic, but people are just f-ing stupid to continue to buy gas guzzling suv's.  they complain about high gas prices but then go out and buy a f-ing huge truck that get like 12 mpg.

i think suv purchases should be taxed out the f-ing ass.

That is certainly the right tool.  If you think there should be less of something, tax the hell out of it.  I think its the right notion rather than taxing gasoline directly, at current levels.  If would certainly force people who are not exorbitantly rich to consider the other things they would have to give up now in order to have their SUV.

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 10:27:48 PM »
this is a little off topic, but people are just f-ing stupid to continue to buy gas guzzling suv's.  they complain about high gas prices but then go out and buy a f-ing huge truck that get like 12 mpg.

And the government gives a tax credit to businesses that purchase SUVs, even if they are intended for personal use.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 03:25:41 PM »
this is a little off topic, but people are just f-ing stupid to continue to buy gas guzzling suv's. they complain about high gas prices but then go out and buy a f-ing huge truck that get like 12 mpg.

You've got my vote.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 03:37:41 PM »
lol, i dont think i could run for public office.  i couldnt deal with all the bull.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:41:25 PM »
cascagrossa, all you need to do to be elected is to run on that platform only. Avoid all other issues, just bring the conversation back to taxing the hell out of SUVs. Between that and making telemarketing executives eligible for the death penalty, you'll have the election all sewn up.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 03:49:55 PM »
but all the huge oil companies and auto manufacturers would throw millions of dollars into a huge smear campaign against me.  im too sensitive for those mean ads.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 03:59:41 PM »
the truth is that buish changed his reasons for goin to war so many times that it is hard to say why we went into iraq.  at first it was wmd, but after it had become appearant there were no WMD he said he would have invaded anyway.  so what gives?

humanitarian reasons? ok then why not send in a couple thousand in to sudan to stop an ongoing genocide?

to strengthen the international community?  wouldnt it have been better to submit to the international will than to over ride it?
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

ComicOzzie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 03:13:39 AM »
 ???Please explain why SUVs are so horrible.  Is it because they're much more than most people need in a vehicle?  Meaning the only reason they drive them is because they want to; not because they have to?  IOW a luxury.  Therefore burning extra fuel that doesn't have to be burned?

Ozzie

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 04:08:35 AM »
???Please explain why SUVs are so horrible.  Is it because they're much more than most people need in a vehicle?  Meaning the only reason they drive them is because they want to; not because they have to?  IOW a luxury.  Therefore burning extra fuel that doesn't have to be burned?

Ozzie

yes, they are a HUGE waste for the great majority of suv owners.  why does every soccer mom on the block need a gigantic ford excursion to drive to the supermarket?  they female dog and moan about high gas prices but do nothing to contribute to a solution, in fact the contribute to the worsening of the situation.

oil is a scarce resource.  there is absolutely no reason for gas guzzling vehicles to be sold at the rate they are.  it is ridiculous that the citizens of this country lack the social conscience to see that.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 04:57:00 AM »
It is common knowledge that Bush invaded Iraq for oil. 

This is an excellent example of why trusting "common knowledge" isn't always a great idea.

But now oil is trading at practically an all time high -- $54 a barrel.

So what happened?  Is it possible that this war was not fought for oil?

What happened is that China's economy started heating up.  Demand for oil is at an all-time high, with no new supply online.  Demand up, supply unchanged = Price increase.

As you point out, if all the Bush administration was interested in was oil, it obviously would have been a lot easier to drop the sanctions and buy his oil than to fight a war for it.