Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: no blood for oil at $54 per barrel  (Read 2809 times)

superiorlobe

no blood for oil at $54 per barrel
« on: October 10, 2004, 09:05:46 PM »
It is common knowledge that Bush invaded Iraq for oil.  We have spent something like $200 billion on the war so far, which would have bought a lot of oil, but clearly we knew that it made more sense to spend $200 billion invading Iraq for their oil than to just buy it on the market.

But now oil is trading at practically an all time high -- $54 a barrel.

So what happened?  Is it possible that this war was not fought for oil?

Everyman

Re: no blood for oil at $54 per barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 09:08:39 PM »
lol at people that actually thought the war was about US control of Iraqi oil.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 09:12:55 PM »
im not saying that i believe the motivation to go to war was for oil, but if you think about it, more expensive oil would only help haliburton and other american companies earn MORE money.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 09:13:17 PM »
inferiorlobe... the rise in the price of oil right now has nothing to due to the supply of oil coming from the middle east... it has a lot to do with the hurricanes that were in the gulf, refinery problems in the US, and the different types of gasoline different parts of the country use to meet their local standards.

I think that Bush went to war to get back at Hussein for messing with his daddy and also to create some revenue streams for US businesses.

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 09:18:13 PM »
Anyone who thinks this war was fought just so Halliburton could make a buck is a cook and a conspiracy theorist.

Everyman

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 09:21:49 PM »
I think we went to war in order to stop a burgeoning threat, one that (a) had used WMDs before, (b) was making open threats against the US, and (c) was blatantly disregarding the conditions placed upon it after it had invaded another country without provocation less than 15 years earlier.

But that's just me

(good troll thread)

AaronJ

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 09:22:09 PM »
im not saying that i believe the motivation to go to war was for oil, but if you think about it, more expensive oil would only help haliburton and other american companies earn MORE money.

I dont know about the Halliburton link but you have to wonder about that.  

Edit: Here is my take

For some damn reason they keep filling the strategic reserve at these obnoxious prices, further driving demand and hence prices up.  I keep wondering if they are going to let out some of that excess reserve out right before the elections to try to push prices down.  I hope they dont because that would be a seriously cheap ploy to improve voter sentiment.  

My spoiled American ass gets pissed off every time I go to the pumps to fill up and I know if prices came down it would improve my near term finances and hence my attitude.

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 09:26:24 PM »
Anyone who thinks this war was fought just so Halliburton could make a buck is a cook and a conspiracy theorist.

Political graft was an added benefit, but not the motivation for the war. 
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 09:49:31 PM »
this is a little off topic, but people are just f-ing stupid to continue to buy gas guzzling suv's.  they complain about high gas prices but then go out and buy a f-ing huge truck that get like 12 mpg.

i think suv purchases should be taxed out the f-ing ass.

superiorlobe

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 09:50:33 PM »
this is a little off topic, but people are just f-ing stupid to continue to buy gas guzzling suv's.  they complain about high gas prices but then go out and buy a f-ing huge truck that get like 12 mpg.

i think suv purchases should be taxed out the f-ing ass.

I agree with you on this.