Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just how hard are admissions standards this year?  (Read 2196 times)

asuhelms

• View Profile
    • Email
Just how hard are admissions standards this year?
« on: March 24, 2004, 04:22:12 PM »
So...I guess i just graduated at the wrong time.  My LSAT is 158 with a LSDAS GPA 3.2.  Not horrible numbers (not good either), but I have been having problems getting admitted.  For example, I was rejected from UNC in 2 days.  That is they rejected my application two days after my file has been sent from the LSAC.  I was waitlisted at Pitt (which according to the LSAC I had a 90% chance of acceptance) and I was rejected at BYU (a reach) and Utah (again, according to the LSAC a 40-60% chance).  Anyway, I am still waiting on...
Washington and Lee (i will be rejected)
American (probably rejected)
Temple (probably rejected)
Oregon (should have been 75%, but with this years status I will probably be rejected)
Maryland (probably rejected)
Maine (should be accepted but who knows)

It isn't as if my LOR and extraciriculars are average.  I think I have an above average resume.

I have been accepted to Hofstra and Syracuse, but both are two of my last choices mainly because of how expensive they are despite $12500 scholarships to each.

I might be getting a masters degree first :(

Anyone else having troubles?

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just how hard are admissions standards this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 04:53:24 PM »
166-3.38

rejected from nyu columbia
brooklyn accepted but only PT
hofstra sju and ny law accepted w/money

waiting on cardozo and fham...feel like those are gonna b rejected...its real tough this year :(

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 04:55:45 PM »
I'm not in the same boat, and hate to be the joykiller, but you should've applied to more safeties. You were below the averages for all those schools (except Maine and Pitt). 20/20 hindsight though right? I'm still beating myself up over not applying to some schools in retrospect I should've.

Btw, LSAC didn't post percentages this year. Were you looking at percentages from a few years ago maybe? Because there's no way you had a 75% chance  at Oregon. Their median last year was 3.4/159. I'm surprised about Pitt, though even though your GPA was below their median 3.3/158. Check their websites if you don't believe me.

I's been tough to get into law school lately, though, for all of us. I'm still waiting on 4 schools myself. The wait is worse than the impending likelihood of rejection IMHO. Best of Luck.

cc1t

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:53:35 PM »
i33:

I doubt you'll be rejected from Cardozo, I applied last spring with stats considerably lower than yours (162/2.9) and got accepted immediatley, and it was right before the deadline (I ultimatley decided to defer so I could wait for fall responses from other schools I prefered, which I am happy with the decision)... While it may be considerably tougher in the fall, I know they also accept a class that starts in the summer that should be easier to get into, see if the deadline has passed for that.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 09:58:12 PM »
actually 'dozo's a LOT tougher this year. one of the folks from the old PR board got WL'd with a 170ish/2.8 split there. Check lawschoolnumbers.com, a 162 is barely competitive for someone with a GPA less than 3.5 this year at 'Dozo. Their median was 3.45/162 last year (http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/admissions/faqs.asp). Your results appear to be atypical.

The tier 2's in NY are making a serious push to jack up their LSAT/GPA numbers this year, and are rejecting the hell out of the people that formed their class last year.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 10:32:50 PM »
Everyone, and I mean everyone is jacking up their admissions standards.... The days of automatic admit for 3.0/150-t4, 3.2/155-t3, 3.4/160-t2 3.6/165-t1 are OVER.  Now you not only need to sport hardass digits, but have something from the real world to bring the table too!  or be an URM or have pictures of the dean of admissions blowing a goat.

Fact of the matter is, a bad economy drives increased enrollments and All the Ivy Leaguers who would be getting offers to do investment banking or consulting or engineering arent getting the money they were expecting with a 4 year degree, so apps are up.  Plus all the laid off IT guys and dotcommers who havent found work yet are still flooding the pool.

Its like a sick spiral, last year USDs applications went up like 40%, and Im sure they and everyone else has had another healthy increase this year.  What got you into a school as an average number or 75%ile 2 years ago is now marginal...

Survival of the fittest baby...

I can say this though... THE SOLUTION IS NOT TO COME UP WITH A BUNCH OF NEW LAW SCHOOLS TO ACCOMODATE INCREASED ADMISSIONS.  The ABA needs to discourage this, cause if we increase law school seats faster than we gain population, we are going to have A LOT of unemployed or underemployed Attorneys.

If you think working retail with a BA and a 30,000 student loan is bad, you definitely dont want to be managing a kinkos with 150,000 in debt and a JD.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 11:51:55 PM »
you definitely dont want to be managing a kinkos with 150,000 in debt and a JD.

please, no need to scare me anymore... i'm perfectly aware of how big a ****hole that would be :)

As for cardozo's may program, the deadline is april 1st but I'm guessing most of the spaces are filled by now.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 10:20:32 AM »
may program starts the week before i graduate ... :(

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 10:51:52 AM »
I heard that there was an unusually high number of applicants scoring between 164 and 168 on LSATs this year.

Which didn't make sense to me because I thought the numbers were based on percentiles. But it was explained to me that lsac actually uses test groups to assign raw scores to scores, so if the test group was not an accurate reflection of the actual test takers, the scores could be slightly skewed.

Not sure. But if it were true that there were a high number of scores in that range, that could make it much harder for people with LSATs under 164.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:01:13 AM »
it could make it harder for people btwn 164-168 as well!  just because there is a large crop to choose from, gpa comes into play, which is what I suck at! lol