Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phi Beta Kappa?  (Read 10987 times)

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Phi Beta Kappa?
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 09:03:16 AM »
damn overachievers lol... im damn proud of my 3.44!!! wow that sounds pathetic... in regards to this post i got invited to an honor fraternity called Beta Alpha Psi... any information on this one?? also whats the deal with Golden Key, i just paid my dues last week... is this the whore of honor societies?
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 09:58:06 AM »
I got this off of the PBK website:
Individual Membership:   600,000
Institutional Membership:   262 chapters at sheltering institutions; 57 associations.
Criteria:   Individual membership is awarded to undergraduates in the liberal arts who are selected for the distinction by chapters from among students in the top ten percent of their graduating class

For everyone who took upon themselves to insult my intellegience (and the intellegience of everyone else who wasn't in PBK), you can clearly see that a) only 262 institutions have this organization..which means the majority of colleges don't b) you have to be a liberal arts major...which I was not c) you only had to be in the top 10 percent...not the top 1 percent.

I was in Alpha Chi...which has almost identical admission standards and which is very similar to PBK, and which  was the main honor society that my undergrad. university happened to have (probably because they were not a liberal arts college) ....it is also reserved for the top ten percent of junior and senior classes and also has about 300 participating institutions.

Off of the Alpha Chi website:
FAQs About Membership in Alpha Chi
Can I apply for membership with the national office?
No. Invitations to membership are issued only by the faculty of colleges and universities that have an Alpha Chi chapter.Who is eligible for membership in Alpha Chi?
At colleges and universities that have a chapter of Alpha Chi, membership is limited to the top 10 percent of juniors and seniors.

And thanks to all of the people on this website who didn't bite my head off because I didn't know what PBK was!  For the people who did, just because someone has experiences or a knowledge base that differs from your own, doesn't mean that they are inferior.
Attending: Texas

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 10:01:48 AM »
ElizaB: just a note for future posting... dont take everyone so seriously... you must realize that most people either dont care about your post or they purposely start drama.  Dont take message boards too seriously.  In the word of John McClain, "Welcome to the party, pal!"
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 10:18:40 AM »
Trust me, I didn't loose any sleep over it.  :) I like a good argument, though!  I'm off to work. 
Attending: Texas

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 11:50:08 AM »
That is what I thought -- that it wasn't given at a lot of schools.

But I think the take home point is still that PBK is the only honors society you should put on your resume, unless maybe if you can put in () "my school didn't have PBK, we had __ instead."  It's not because other societies aren't also hard to get into but because PBK is *famous* for it prestige. (think about it... I got in and I can't even spell prestige).  Law schools are not likely to look up the criteria for admission into other honors societies.

I personally think PBK isn't that big a deal.  And it's just wrong how I got invited when this friend of mine who went to Harvard and majored in CS (he actually got both a BS and MA in 4 years) didn't get invited!!  That's messed up.  It was likely 3x as hard for him to get his 3.5 than for me to get my 3.8.

lexylit

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 11:56:27 AM »
:o  you went to school with some total smarties!  mine is 152.

they had nothing on you, silly

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 12:02:15 PM »
:o  you went to school with some total smarties!  mine is 152.

they had nothing on you, silly

5% of them did ;) (based strictly on LSAT score)

and we'll ignore the fact that i never would have gotten into dartmouth out of HS either.  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

DESI

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 06:07:16 PM »
hey smart ass motherfuckers -

i never got into PBK.  you all suck.

ok time to learn.

-desi

ruskiegirl

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 06:08:50 PM »

ok time to learn.

-desi
DOWNY and I induct you as an honorary member.  PBK couldn't be complete without you, desi.

DESI

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2004, 06:27:39 PM »

ok time to learn.

-desi
DOWNY and I induct you as an honorary member.  PBK couldn't be complete without you, desi.

:-* :-* :-* to Ruskie and a thank you to DOWNY