Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phi Beta Kappa?  (Read 9414 times)

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
Re: Phi Beta Kappa?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 03:17:29 AM »
Whatever ElizaB knows about Skull and Crossbones she learned at Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney Land on spring break with her sorority.

DOWNY

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 03:24:21 AM »
Whatever ElizaB knows about Skull and Crossbones she learned at Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney Land on spring break with her sorority.
ROFLOL.

lexylit

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 03:27:11 AM »

i'm sorry, perhaps it escaped your notice that "the skulls" starred josh jackson of dawson's creek fame. that movie was a MANDATORY field trip for sorority girls around the country!

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 03:30:03 AM »
High Scholarship: Candidates must have completed at least 120 quarter units of college work before being elected to membership. Juniors elected to Phi Beta Kappa must have a GPA of 3.75 or higher. Seniors elected to Phi Beta Kappa generally have a GPA of 3.50 or higher. However, no one is elected strictly on the basis on GPA.

oh, now im jealous. it's def like a 3.9 for juniors and 3.8 for seniors at dartmouth

grade inflation at ivies  ;)

if it makes you feel any better, i don't know any 3.5's that actually got in.  it's just a bare minimum.  3.7somethings were the lowest, and i was among that group (when not rounding up my GPA).

what's mean GPA at dartmouth according to LSAC?  UCI's is like 3.15.  that speaks well for me, because it places me at 93rd percentile or something for law school applicants from my school.  woohoo!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

DOWNY

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 03:31:48 AM »
I got in with a 3.79, but that was TTT compared to most of the people who had 3.8+

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 03:39:07 AM »
I got in with a 3.79, but that was third tier toilet compared to most of the people who had 3.8+

that was my GPA too, and DOWNY tells me that my school is also a ttt.  :) (okay, he didn't really say that.)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

lexylit

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 03:44:01 AM »
what's mean GPA at dartmouth according to LSAC?  UCI's is like 3.15.  that speaks well for me, because it places me at 93rd percentile or something for law school applicants from my school.  woohoo!

i don't know; i think i need to check on my pc at work tomorrow. i re-found this thread
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,5356.0.html
i think we're pretty bad as average gpas go. i'm sure that's why the requirements for pbk would be different at your ug and mine, i just meant i didn't know about those other requirements & i thought it was strictly a gpa/percentile thing.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 03:51:55 AM »
this came up not too long ago: would people mind posting their college lsat mean, as reported by lsac? it sounds like something schools take into account when they judge your ug, and it's hard to gauge what's typical.

i'll start-- dartmouth avgs 163 apparently. 53% of undergrads score in the 90th percentile and up; 34% in the 95th and up.

:o  you went to school with some total smarties!  mine is 152.

as for PBK being strictly GPA, that may well be the case at other schools, but i guess the UC's (or at least UCI, but i would imagine it to be a uniform policy across all UC campuses) don't think that's enough.  you have to have good character and have taken "rigorous" courses in the liberal arts and the sciences, if i remember correctly from the link i posted.  that's funny, because i took exactly one science class at UCI.  AP credit + JC class + UCI class = i met my breadth requirement.  :)

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 08:43:01 AM »
Guys... ease up on Eliza.  I didn't know what it was either until I got the invite in the mail.  And even then I was going to pitch it until my mom was like "what the @&#! are you doing?!" 

And it is a bit more than gpa.  According to the website you have to have taken a wide variety of classes and some *&^% like that.

Eliza-- I'm not sure, but for some reason I think they don't consider students from every school.  Maybe your school was one of those.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 08:51:55 AM »
I know it wasn't all gpa at my school at least.  We only had like 20 invites out of maybe 2000 graduates... and my gpa was definitely not in the top 1%.  I think being recommended by a prof. might have something to do with it too.