Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phi Beta Kappa?  (Read 10296 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Phi Beta Kappa?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 01:44:46 AM »
and why people like me, who did not graduate summa cum laude, which is reserved for the top 1% by grades (and also nomination), can still get phi beta kappa.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 01:45:20 AM »
What is Phi Beta Kappa?  I've never heard of it.  The "general" Honor Society at my university was Alpha Chi.   

WOW, where do you go or where have you been that youve never heard of PBK? It is the most prestigous distinction you can receive when you graduate college. I went to a small liberal arts college and we had it, so i know its not limited to large national universities or anything. Small religious schools in the back country may not have it, but otherwise, its a pretty big deal

DOWNY

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 01:45:33 AM »
"Phi Beta Kappa was founded on December 5, 1776, at the College of William and Mary. Since then, Phi Beta Kappa has evolved to become the nation's leading advocate for the liberal arts and sciences at the undergraduate level."
-www.pbk.org

PBK is the most prestigious of the honors societies, largely because it inducted DOWNY as a member in 2004.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 02:00:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure my school didn't have a chapter....and I didn't go to a backwoods religous school.  One percent of my school would have been a large number of people and I think I would have heard about it if we had one....I was a student body officer for two years and generally very involved on campus so I pretty certain that I would have heard about it....(but then my undergraduate institution had about 500 student organizations so I guess it is possible)...Is it like "Who's Who?" or Golden Keys or some of those other "honor societys" where you have to fill out some application and pay money to get in?  I always threw those things away when they came in the mail because I figured that if they really wanted me to join they wouldn't be charging me a fee.  We had Alpha Chi and Golden Keys and about 100 other "major" related honor societies, but no PBK.   
Attending: Texas

ruskiegirl

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 02:02:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure my school didn't have a chapter....and I didn't go to a backwoods religous school.  One percent of my school would have been a large number of people and I think I would have heard about it if we had one....I was a student body officer for two years and generally very involved on campus so I pretty certain that I would have heard about it....(but then my undergraduate institution had about 500 student organizations so I guess it is possible)...Is it like "Who's Who?" or Golden Keys or some of those other "honor societys" where you have to fill out some application and pay money to get in?  I always threw those things away when they came in the mail because I figured that if they really wanted me to join they wouldn't be charging me a fee.  We had Alpha Chi and Golden Keys and about 100 other "major" related honor societies, but no PBK.   
no, unlike who's who and golden key, pbk doesn't have an open door policy. it is highly selective and extremely prestigious.

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 02:04:43 AM »
...Is it like "Who's Who?" or Golden Keys or some of those other "honor societys" where you have to fill out some application and pay money to get in?

Maybe you are not understanding what everyone has said here. THis is the most prestigious honor you can receive in college. Therefore, you dont just fill out some application. 

DOWNY

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 02:08:30 AM »
...Is it like "Who's Who?" or Golden Keys or some of those other "honor societys" where you have to fill out some application and pay money to get in?

Maybe you are not understanding what everyone has said here. THis is the most prestigious honor you can receive in college. Therefore, you dont just fill out some application. 

LOL, yeah it's not like you can download a form and send it in with your $20.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 02:09:47 AM »

concepts like this can be difficult for pageant contestants, so please, be patient.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 02:10:23 AM »
you do have to pay a fee, but there is no application.  it really is invitation-only.  you have to be nominated by your academic unit, and it's not like they take nominations or anything.  it's very much a closed-door thing, followed by a surprise letter in your mailbox at the end of the academic year.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

DOWNY

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 02:13:05 AM »
you do have to pay a fee, but there is no application.  it really is invitation-only.  you have to be nominated by your academic unit, and it's not like they take nominations or anything.  it's very much a closed-door thing, followed by a surprise letter in your mailbox at the end of the academic year.
Exactly. You receive no mail inducing you to apply, you cannot voluntarily apply and you cannot petition to apply. Administrators select PBK prospectives from those who have completed the requisite courses in the liberal arts/sciences and who have the requisite top-of-the-class academic standing. There is no application process.