Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phi Beta Kappa?  (Read 10615 times)

Omey

• If it dont make dollaz, IT DONT MAKE SENSE!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Omeezy450
    • View Profile
Phi Beta Kappa?
« on: October 10, 2004, 06:34:28 PM »
On the resume part of the applications when they ask about honors and stuff like that I had a question.  I have my resume done and stuff, but was wondering whether being a member of Phi Beta Kappa is signifcant enough to rearrange my resume to add.  Any thoughts gang?

PS- Phi Beta Kappa is like this national honor society

ruskiegirl

Re: Phi Beta Kappa?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 06:37:20 PM »
Phi Beta Kappa  is not "like, this national honor society"!  It is the most prestigious honor society in the world, as well as THE oldest Greek letter organization.  It is extremeley prestigious and well-worth mentioning on your resume.

DESI

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 07:31:09 PM »
so is Kappa Epsilon Gamma

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 07:59:32 PM »
As I understand it... Phi Beta Kappa is the ONLY honors society you can put on your resume and not look like a loser.

DOWNY

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 08:51:33 PM »
DOWNY was in numerous Honors Societies but only put PBK on his resume.

The rest of them are douchy; PBK is the only one worth mentioning.

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 11:39:43 PM »
so is Kappa Epsilon Gamma

Im with Desi...the elite members of Kappa Epsilon Gamma need to proclaim it on their apps

muyaha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 01:33:52 AM »
Always add any academic societies that you belong to, even though it might look douchy, it's still a credential to use in your favor.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 01:37:51 AM »
What is Phi Beta Kappa?  I've never heard of it.  The "general" Honor Society at my university was Alpha Chi.   
Attending: Texas

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 01:41:10 AM »
phi beta kappa is an nomination/invitation-only honors society that's generally reserved for the top 1% of students.  but being in the top 1% doesn't automatically get you in usually.  you have to be well-rounded and stuff too.  i think schools set their own standards within certain criteria, but no more than 1% of the school can get it.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 01:43:38 AM »
phi beta kappa is an nomination/invitation-only honors society that's generally reserved for the top 1% of students.  but being in the top 1% doesn't automatically get you in usually.  you have to be well-rounded and stuff too.  i think schools set their own standards within certain criteria, but no more than 1% of the school can get it.
Many schools do not have chapters, because there are certain requirements an institution must meet before they can get one.  Also, there is language and science requirement, which is why not everyone in the top 1% gets in.