Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: referring to specific schools  (Read 403 times)

ja13

• View Profile
referring to specific schools
« on: October 10, 2004, 01:29:11 PM »
i've read in some places that it is important to refer to the specific school to which you are applying in your personal statement. my statement is less about 'why i want to go to law school' and more about me, so i haven't thought of a way to fit specifics in smoothly yet.

any thoughts on whether this is necessary?

mchek

Re: referring to specific schools
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:31:56 PM »
It isn't necessary but it is recommended.

ja13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 01:48:43 PM »
i need to write an addendum anyway, so is it something i could fit in there instead? it just doesn't seem to go well with my ps.

mchek

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 03:32:07 PM »
I wouldn't add it in the addendum, which should only address whatever issue with your app that it involves.
You should address the "why" in the personal statement if the school requests you to do so or they will assume you don't follow instruction.
That being said, I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one not to address it and if your numbers are strong enough it probably wouldn't be an issue.

murpheys_law

• midwesterner ready for the coast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 06:16:51 PM »
The important thing is to make the school want you.  If you refer to them make it brief.  I whole heartedly believe in addressing the school's strengths in the personal statement.  It shows that you have researched their school, and you want to attend that school.  Your not just throwing your application everywhere.  I don't think it should be addressed in the addendum.  If your saying "why" you want to go to school in your PS, you should include "why" this school in particular will help you achieve those goals. i.e. great instructors, atmosphere, library, etc...  Make sure that's really a strength of theirs.  You can easily find these things out by going onto their website or from information they send to you.

One or two sentences at the end should suffice. 

GPA:  3.72
LSAT: TBA