Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer jobs  (Read 648 times)

mmc126

• View Profile
summer jobs
« on: March 24, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »
I'm looking to apply to law school in the fall.  How much do summer jobs during undergrad matter?  I'm trying to decide what to do this summer and I'm not sure if I should be practical and do something that will look good for a law school (intern) or do something for fun (camp counselor).  What's the general opinion on summer jobs?

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: summer jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 03:43:25 AM »
Camp counselor, definitely.

You don't know what jobs "look good" to law schools. Why blow your summer on some boring crappy job that isn't likely to enhance your chances at all.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: summer jobs
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:38:07 PM »
I would say anything with kids might give you a better shot - especially if you write your PS on this.  I worked for several years with kids before going into IT.  I wrote my PS on how much of an impact working with these kids had on my life and how having this experience had shaped my life (I want to go into corporate law for the money to raise my own family but do pro-bono work for children on the side).  When I got one of my acceptance letters, there was a hand written note about how touched the committee was with my PS.  However, it probably matters what you do with kids.  I worked with very emotionally ill children which definitely would be a lot different than working at a camp for privileged children.  Also, depending on what type of law you might want to go into, the experience could help you work better with your clients (i.e. if you work with children, it is a lot different than dealing with adults).