Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid  (Read 1274 times)

kslaw

• View Profile
Financial Aid
« on: March 24, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »
Does scholarship (need-based and merit-based) information always come with the acceptance letter? I was accepted into the only school I applied to (Pitt). I know some people with my LSAT score got scholarship money there, but don't expect to get any myself. I think they got money to offset the cost of out-of-state tuition. i'm in-state, plus applied late.

Just wondering if it's safe to assume that if I want to attend law school, i need to prepare myself for taking out loans to cover the entire thing.

if there are other sources of aid that I should be applying for, please share that information...it would be greatly appreciated.

jgruber

Re: Financial Aid
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 02:22:47 PM »
I suspect it is different for each school.  I got an offer of a scholarship with the application from one school.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 03:26:12 PM »
i agree w/gruber that it depends on the school, but i also agree that it depends on what time you put in your app too; especially if you have the same qualifiers that others who've rec'd aid do.

well, i hope that they can find something for you! ;D

good luck! aj ;D

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 03:50:37 PM »
My school tells you right away.  No scholarships.  It's on their website and in the catalog.   :-\

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 04:06:19 PM »
Don't know if this helps, but DU sent information about 3 weeks after the acceptance email.  When I talked to CU, they said if I haven't heard anything by now, not to get my hopes up - they don't have much money to go around.

asuhelms

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 04:25:29 PM »
kslaw,

what are you stats?  I was just waitlisted at Pitt so I am wondering...btw congrats

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 11:31:12 PM »
grube, when you say that they tell you right away that there's not scholarship money or something of the like, are they telling you that they just don't have the $$ for you specifically or that they don't give out much aid? just wondering if i should look for something like that at the schools i want to apply to.

thanks! :)

aj

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 07:55:57 AM »
asuhelms-

168 LSAT, UGPA 2.98 (traumatic brain injury in college, so noticeable trend with my GPA, including a few Fs the year after the injury)

5 years work experience, half in marketing/communications, half in social services. Father an alumni of Pitt Law.

Not sure if you should try to gauge by me. I knew people with my LSAT score had received scholarships, but my GPA is so messed up, not sure how they would've viewed that. the head injury I mentioned briefly in the related questions.