Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another boring "why I want to study law" ps?  (Read 680 times)

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Another boring "why I want to study law" ps?
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:24:47 PM »
So I've purchased three different books about getting into law school and all of them say something different about what info the PS should include.  Some say it's imperative for the ps to discuss why you want to study law, others say it's not necessary, even to avoid doing it because EVERYONE else will be doing the same thing.  What do you guys think? 

murpheys_law

• midwesterner ready for the coast
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another boring "why I want to study law" ps?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »
I think they want to steer you away from writing "I want to go to law school because."  This is the same exact thing thousands of other students will be writing.  You need to write something that's very personal and jumps out at the admin.  The first sentence is imperative.  That will set the tone for your PS.  They'll decide if they're going to be bored to death or intrigued.

I wrote about a specific event that happened in my life.  In fact, it was only about five minutes of that event just to draw the reader in.  Then I took strengths from the event and applied them to why I would be a strong candidate for law school.  You can convey this message without the typical "why I want" message.  They don't want to read that mess.  Would you?  Write about something that "belongs to you."  In other words, don't write about something that typically happens to other people. 

This website helped me decide on my PS.  I hope it helps.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-personal-statements.shtml
GPA:  3.72
LSAT: TBA

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:24:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice, the website did help :)

Rufiooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Play Ultimate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xPunk313x
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 01:06:02 AM »
I think it is important to use your PS to show how your background makes you a good candidate for law school.  Discussing what is unique or interesting about you can reveal this, without specifically saying "I want to go to law school because..."

Try to make your PS interesting and, of course, personal.  The statement should have something they can remember about you, and show them that you can write intelligently without using your PS to goof off and make them laugh.  That's about all I know about personal statements.

sarendipity

• Sr. Citizen
  • My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 09:58:28 AM »
I think it depends entirely on how you approach writing. You just need to come alive as a person from what you write. Kind of like when your mom told you its not what you said it is how you said it...
"Remember what I said about finding a meaningful life . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning . . . You notice there's nothing in there about a salary."   ~ Morrie Schwartz