Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Im beginning to sense a trend....  (Read 1400 times)

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Im beginning to sense a trend....
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:52:50 AM »
Im beginning to sense a trend... tell me what you think.

T1 schools set deadlines... from that deadline, they offer scholarships, admissions, etc to automatic admits... and waitlist the rest they feel are qualified.  They know they can fill their class either from their admits or waitlists without worry, so they offer 1 cycle. 

Example, WashU appears to have 1 cycle.  Everyone gets put in the yes no or maybe pile.  The first return of letters with deposit is May 1... which can be refunded til May 15, another deposit is due June 1.  Any time they drop below their class size, they hit the wait list.  And then as students who have given deposits drop out up to the first day of class they hit the wait list.

It seems the T2 schools cant get away with that, so they run 2 cycles.

Automatics are automatic... but they ask them to send a deposit by April 1... Once the April 1 deadline passes, THEN the committee decides how many spots they have left, and goes after the pile.  More offers of admission are made.... in hopes of filling the class.... Some people may not hear from these schools till June or July, as they are essentially 'waitlisted' without being told they are....

Example, I called USD, they shared with me that their automatic admit letters did go out, but that they do not expect to send out ANY rejection letters unti April 15-May1. 

I interpret this as, ... we know who we want for sure, but we are waiting to see who doesnt get into their favorite t1 school... we might still get some stellar apps from those who were dissapointed by their rejection letters from UCLA... lets give those some time to get in here, and once we are sure we got the best we could, we will fill the class with the best of the rest.

T4... different also.

They know their top picks are likely going to turn them down... So they run scholarship offers by them and give them 2-5 weeks to send a BIG deposit on it.  They dont want to spend too much time with that money uncommitted, cause they will run the offer by the next guy down the list.  by the same token, they know they might have trouble filling their class, so though they might have an 'autoreject' pile, they try to work quickly from both ends, saving the middle for last.

So far it seems that most schools are using a variety of these tactics and maybe it isnt tied to their tier level, but it certainly seems so in my experience.

Any input?

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Im beginning to sense a trend....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 01:32:39 PM »
Seems to make sense from what I know about my situation.  My t4 that I got into was as an auto-admit and they have given me 30 days from the date of the acceptance letter to put down a $400 seat deposit, with no grace period for being able to receive a refund.  Therefore, they have no formal deadline for seat deposits, just that anyone they offer a scholarship has 30 days to respond or they move onto the next person.

Also, my t3 I'm still waiting on (Southwestern) told me essentially the same thing USD told you.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 06:56:55 PM »
Well, I had an experience that may back up your theory (even if I am only one particular applicant)...St. John's offered me a huge scholarship, but is asking me to throw down a $750 deposit by April 1...USD also gave me a rather substantial scholarship offer, with the same deadline, April 1...my problem is, that date is nearing rapidly and I have not heard from my other, higher-ranking schools yet...

But I will hear from Georgetown soon - my status went to decision on Monday...

Chris

scooterbop

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 07:14:14 PM »
Im beginning to sense a trend... tell me what you think.

T1 schools set deadlines... from that deadline, they offer scholarships, admissions, etc to automatic admits... and waitlist the rest they feel are qualified.  They know they can fill their class either from their admits or waitlists without worry, so they offer 1 cycle. 

It seems the T2 schools cant get away with that, so they run 2 cycles.

T4... different also.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but, I didn't realize that there were FOUR tiers of schools.  I was aware of the first tier and even second and third tiers, although the sites I visited don't necessarily rank the second and third tier schools, they just kind of lump them together.  I have mainly been using US News to figure out what tier a school was in.  My questions are many; where can I find a more comprehensive list of schools and thier tier-ranking?  What are some schools that would be considered 4th Tier schools?

Thanks!

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 07:47:31 PM »
Scooter.

I think the reason you are confused is that people who have been following this for a while know that though USNEWS currently displays a 'top100', and then a tier 3 and tier 4... Tier 1 is basically the top 50, tier 2 the next 50, tier 3, is another 40-50 and tier 4 is another 40-50...

It gets more interesting

Top 5 counts are ultra elites
Top 10 elites
Top 15 Still DAMN good
Top 25-30  Really solid schools
Top 50 Tier 1.

There tends to be some discrimination between the top of tier 2 and the bottom...

and there are some arguments about wether some schools should be in T1 or T2 or T2 v T3...

Example USD... some rankings put quality of teaching at 20 or so... maybe up and coming, maybe in the next 5 years will bust #50...

Pepperdine v Loyola... Loyola is t2, Pepp T3... in terms of respect in socal though, pretty much the same.

Dig in, read all you can, and youll get a feel for it, nobody agrees on it completely, but we all have a sense for what the heirarchy is.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 08:43:32 PM »
Louder than Bombs, I'm in the same situation. I sent in a deposit to SJU on Mon. I'm still waiting on Fordham, W&M, GW and BC.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 11:27:03 PM »
wow! i didn't know that's how some schools run their intakes for the year. man. the sad thing is that it does sound quite realistic and probable. thanks for that insight, aon. appreciate it.

aj