Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you playing the "Sexual Orientation Card" in your personal statement?

Main focus of my Personal Statement.
A key point among other topics.
Mentioned in passing.
Not mentioned, just because.
Afraid to mention for fear of discrimination in the process.
Mentioned in some, not in others.

Gay Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Gay Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #600 on: December 28, 2005, 08:35:28 PM »
Just to add to the collective knowledge.  The guy who emailed me from Chicago informed me that their gay student association only had 10 members.  I was rather shocked at this, even considering Chicago's small size.  The guy who called me from Harvard (who posts on LSD) told me that although Stanford and Yale might have a higher percentage of gay students, larger schools such as Harvard have a more critical mass to get things done.  Plus he said there is a lot of interaction with the other schools at Harvard which is a huge plus for me (since we all know the business school is where its at).  Anyway, just though I'd share what I've learned so far.

assembletheways

« Reply #601 on: December 28, 2005, 10:48:45 PM »
Just to add to the collective knowledge.  The guy who emailed me from Chicago informed me that their gay student association only had 10 members.  I was rather shocked at this, even considering Chicago's small size.  The guy who called me from Harvard (who posts on LSD) told me that although Stanford and Yale might have a higher percentage of gay students, larger schools such as Harvard have a more critical mass to get things done.  Plus he said there is a lot of interaction with the other schools at Harvard which is a huge plus for me (since we all know the business school is where its at).  Anyway, just though I'd share what I've learned so far.

Thanks for the info. Basically, I've heard the same about Chicago (plus a decent sized Chicago grad group), Harvard, and Penn.

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about GULC and MICH.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 28, 2005, 11:09:47 PM »
as the guy quoted above, I will put in a plug for Harvard.  as an undergrad at Duke I felt that being gay was a detriment, but it has definitely enriched my HLS experience.  specific points: HLS gave me $750 to go to an LGBT law conference in San Diego.  one firm actively recruited the LGBT students, taking Lambda members to a nice dinner with the managing partner.  we've had several crossover events (an all-harvard cocktail reception, a boston-wide party paid for by law firms and organized by lambda, law/kennedy school, boston-area law students).  Lambda hosts luncheons where upperclassmen share their wisdom about law school as a whole and about the job search. 

small schools have their advantages, but a larger school is a huge benefit for niche identities like the LGBT community

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #603 on: April 21, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »
Revived?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 21, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »
Meh.