Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you playing the "Sexual Orientation Card" in your personal statement?

Main focus of my Personal Statement.
A key point among other topics.
Mentioned in passing.
Not mentioned, just because.
Afraid to mention for fear of discrimination in the process.
Mentioned in some, not in others.

Gay Law Student Discussion Board

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Gay Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2005, 07:48:19 AM »
It seems like in terms of hardship being gay varies more widely than other groups of people.  The worst things that happen to gay people because they're gay are as bad as the worst forms of racial, religious, or gender discrimination, but for a some of us being queer is extremely easy and safe.  A lot of it is luck of the draw; where you live, how your family feels, and whether or not you happen to run into a big scary nutjob that feels like playing smear the queer.

NathanB

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2005, 08:13:57 AM »
well, thats true, but its the same thing for african americans, jews, and anyone else.  Not everyone is discriminated against.  However, when it is widespread against a single group, then that doesn't really matter any more.  You have to live with the knowledge that it MIGHT happen.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2005, 09:02:59 AM »
well, thats true, but its the same thing for african americans, jews, and anyone else.  Not everyone is discriminated against.  However, when it is widespread against a single group, then that doesn't really matter any more.  You have to live with the knowledge that it MIGHT happen.

It certainly always varies, I just think it varies more with queer people than with people of ethnic groups.  Parents are never going to disown their kids because of their ethnicity, and someone who's queer and stuck in a very socially conservative area is going to be SooL, but on the flip side, for some (lucky) queers, it's pretty easy to stay within a comfort zone in which orientation is rarely an issue.

I also think it's often physically safer for queer, but not genderqueer, women than for queer men or genderqueer individuals.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
Also, sexuality-based and race-based discrimination are not mutually exclusive.  Racial minority groups tend to be less accepting of sexual minorities, and the homosexual community is incredibly racist.

NathanB

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2005, 10:59:20 AM »
Thats odd, I don't guess I've really experienced the homosexual community being racist personally.

The difference between gay discrimination and other forms is that its easier to hide being gay than being black, etc.  If every gay person was born with GAY stamped on their forehead, it would be different.

My 2 cents.

Also, sexuality-based and race-based discrimination are not mutually exclusive.  Racial minority groups tend to be less accepting of sexual minorities, and the homosexual community is incredibly racist.

practiceboy02

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2005, 12:49:14 PM »
Thats odd, I don't guess I've really experienced the homosexual community being racist personally.

The difference between gay discrimination and other forms is that its easier to hide being gay than being black, etc.  If every gay person was born with GAY stamped on their forehead, it would be different.

My 2 cents.

Are you both gay and a minority?  I am.  If you're not, you probably have no authority to speak to it.  The gay community is incredibly racist

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2005, 12:54:44 PM »
Are you both gay and a minority?  I am.  If you're not, you probably have no authority to speak to it.  The gay community is incredibly racist

I know that a lot of aspects of the gay community are racist, and that queers of color often have a really hard time but I also think that many of the queer organizations I've belonged to have been much more concious of racial issues, and worked much harder to address them, than a lot of other social and political groups I've been a part of.  I don't think the gay community is any one thing.

NathanB

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2005, 01:04:26 PM »
Well, I agree that I probably don't have the same perspective as a minority, as I'm not, but I know a great number of gay people and they aren't racist...  Maybe its just the ones I know.  They're good people.

Are you both gay and a minority? I am. If you're not, you probably have no authority to speak to it. The gay community is incredibly racist

practiceboy02

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2005, 01:19:49 PM »

I know that a lot of aspects of the gay community are racist, and that queers of color often have a really hard time but I also think that many of the queer organizations I've belonged to have been much more concious of racial issues, and worked much harder to address them, than a lot of other social and political groups I've been a part of.  I don't think the gay community is any one thing.

"Queer organizations" are very PC and likely not representative of the community as a whole.  From a perspective of social examination, the gay community is highly segregated.

practiceboy02

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »
Well, I agree that I probably don't have the same perspective as a minority, as I'm not, but I know a great number of gay people and they aren't racist...  Maybe its just the ones I know.  They're good people.

Are you both gay and a minority? I am. If you're not, you probably have no authority to speak to it. The gay community is incredibly racist

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, but most white people don't really know what "racism" is.  It's not limited to the KKK burning black churches or to people outspokenly saying negative things about minorities.  Racism is much more complicated and deals with issues of segregation and race-idealization. You can't deny that the gay male community highly idealizes a certain "look" - that of a white, jock, fratboy.  Does every gay guy idealize this look?  No, of course not... I sure don't.  But this is conventional beauty in the eyes of the majority of the gay community, and these types of "conventions" have undertones of racism (The same can't be said for the straight male community).  Is this type of racism as bad as the KKK burning churches?  Of course not.  But it still exists and is much more noticeable when social norms suggest that if someone likes you, it's because he has a "fetish" and not just because you're consensually good-looking. 

My $.02