Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you playing the "Sexual Orientation Card" in your personal statement?

Main focus of my Personal Statement.
A key point among other topics.
Mentioned in passing.
Not mentioned, just because.
Afraid to mention for fear of discrimination in the process.
Mentioned in some, not in others.

Gay Law Student Discussion Board

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Gay Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 06:20:39 PM »
There's no way I would do it, simply for the reason that if I were ever in a position of public recognition, it would be a horrible thing to come back and bite me in the ass.

But regarding the perjury charge or grounds for dismissal from law school...it's known and accepted that it can take as long as age 20-25 to realize their homosexuality. So what if a gay student becomes straight, or realizes that he/she is bisexual and more attracted to the opposite sex?

Sorry, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but you're all going to be future lawyers so this shouldn't seem offensive.

if you don't know your sexuality, then how can you possibly testify to it?  if someone is at all questioning about his sexuality, that's fine.  but i think it's something else to come out and say, "i'm totally gay."  i don't think you can say you're gay simply because you've had one, two or even say a handful of sexual experiences with another person of the same gender. 

moreover, from an ethical standpoint (and i do realize this may go beyond whatever legal issues are involved), pretending to be gay simply to receive some kind of real and meaningful benefit doesn't quite pass the test for me. 

BigChiefHoho

• 3.77/171
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2005, 09:32:57 PM »
I'm openly bisexual, but it has caused me no hardship, so I am not going to include it in my PS. 

NathanB

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2005, 09:39:06 PM »
Do you have a preference?

I'm openly bisexual, but it has caused me no hardship, so I am not going to include it in my PS.

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
On a side note, are there really very many bisexual people out there?  I have always kind of thought of most of them as "gay-questioning" or "gay-curious" and not yet converted.  Who knows.  I guess its ultimately each person's decision.

It's that kind of mindset that kept my sexual orientation hidden for years.  I was always attracted to girls, as wells as boys.  Every since I was little.  But in the little 'bubble' I lived in, a person could only be GAY or STRAIGHT.  I spent years thinking I was perverted.  It wasn't until my junior year in college that I realized that I could be, and consider myself to be, bisexual. 

I have been involved in gay rights for years.  Not because of who I am but because of my friends.  Growing up, I happened to know numerous gay people.  I supported gay rights for them.  As such, more than half of my friends are GLBT.  However, in my GLBT community, being bisexual is frowned upon.  Many gay people, in my community, think that bisexuals are 'on the fence' and cannot fully commit to being gay.  As such, no one, not even my best friends know I'm bisexual.  They all think I am straight.  I don't even date women from my community.  When I am with a woman, all of whom are from outside my community, I feel I have to lie and say I'm lesbian so that she won't be turned off.

As I do not want my sexual orientation to be a factor in the admissions process, I do not plan to discuss it.  However, I will mention my involvement in GLBT issues.  In addition, I will choose GLBT-friendly schools.

NathanB

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
Globalgal - I think its hard for people who do fall mostly on one side of the coin or the other to understand the concept of bisexuality.

We live in such a "black and white" world, everything is supposed to have a yes or no answer.

anyhow, my 1 cent.

On a side note, are there really very many bisexual people out there?  I have always kind of thought of most of them as "gay-questioning" or "gay-curious" and not yet converted.  Who knows.  I guess its ultimately each person's decision.

It's that kind of mindset that kept my sexual orientation hidden for years. I was always attracted to girls, as wells as boys. Every since I was little. But in the little 'bubble' I lived in, a person could only be GAY or STRAIGHT. I spent years thinking I was perverted. It wasn't until my junior year in college that I realized that I could be, and consider myself to be, bisexual.

I have been involved in gay rights for years. Not because of who I am but because of my friends. Growing up, I happened to know numerous gay people. I supported gay rights for them. As such, more than half of my friends are GLBT. However, in my GLBT community, being bisexual is frowned upon. Many gay people, in my community, think that bisexuals are 'on the fence' and cannot fully commit to being gay. As such, no one, not even my best friends know I'm bisexual. They all think I am straight. I don't even date women from my community. When I am with a woman, all of whom are from outside my community, I feel I have to lie and say I'm lesbian so that she won't be turned off.

As I do not want my sexual orientation to be a factor in the admissions process, I do not plan to discuss it. However, I will mention my involvement in GLBT issues. In addition, I will choose GLBT-friendly schools.

BigChiefHoho

• 3.77/171
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 06:21:27 AM »
Do you have a preference?

I generally like girls a bit better, although I'm currently dating a boy.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 07:57:07 AM »
I really doubt there is a benefit to saying you're gay on an application (having related activism or struggles in life probably does help a little, but if you're going to lie, you could also lie and make up all kinds of other life obstacles that would be equally valued), so my guess is that the ethical/legal argument is pretty much moot.

That said, I do think for a lot of people orientation CAN change (NOT that you can change it, but that it can be different at different points in your life).  I was seriously, honest-to-God bisexual for quite a while, until I just stopped being attracted to men.  I don't know how common that is, and for practical reasons I think the queer community tends to deny that it's possible to counter the "it's a choice" rationale behind discrimination.  But I do think it does a disservice to people who are struggling to find a clear cut description of their sexual identity when for a lot of people it's more complicated than gay/straight.

Just because I'm a dyke now doesn't mean I always was, or for that matter that I always will be.  And GLOBALgal, I totally get where you're coming from.  Biphobia sucks (and that's my well reasoned, academic conclusion ;) ).

NathanB

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2005, 09:00:42 PM »
bump :)

SkullTatt

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »
I would check with your state bar association, I heard that many require all students who claimed they were gay in their PS to insert a police baton up their ass to prove it.

But seriously... i think it's funny that anybody could claim that gay people don't suffer abuse and hardship for being gay, when you can't even read through a short thread like this without some freak butting in to call us incredibly foul names, and another giving his two cents about how he's still not convinced that homosexuality is not a choice.

On the upside, I suppose it's a cool feeling to be a member of the last group it's still okay to openly discriminate against. (Unless I'm forgetting somebody, I may be.)

NathanB

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2005, 07:22:25 AM »
It would be nice if the govt. started recognizing sexuality as a protected from discrimination.

But as long as our friend W is in the white house, I think we can safely say that all homosexuals are second class citizens.

Vote Hilary 2008!