Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you playing the "Sexual Orientation Card" in your personal statement?

Main focus of my Personal Statement.
A key point among other topics.
Mentioned in passing.
Not mentioned, just because.
Afraid to mention for fear of discrimination in the process.
Mentioned in some, not in others.

Gay Law Student Discussion Board

HBCU.EDU

Re: Gay Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 02:50:12 PM »
Thats kind of a contradiction in terms: Don't want to tell, how do I tell.  (even jokes should make sense)

I think I'm GAY. I just don't want to tell anyone. :-[ How to I tell my friends and family?

I'ts not a joke. I know that was kinda awkward and I'm sorry about that. I just think it's the right thing to do. It could be fun. I want to be more progressive. I've been angry, neo-soul, "gay", myself and I think I'm going to go for the real deal gay thing. I don't want to tell people but how do I do it? Help me come out :-\

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
This quesiton would have no business as an aa qualifier unless you could show that gays are underrepresented in the legal profession which would be hard to do since we dont have any certain estimates of what percentege of the legal profession is gay, or even for that matter the population.  I have seen ranges as large at a ten % spread for the population.  Thats a lot.

On a side note, you can't lie about being black, you can lie about being gay.  I bet if this question was added and people were given a bonus there would be lots more people applying as "bisexual" just for the bonus, thus efesting the purpose of it as an identifier.

NathanB

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 04:51:47 PM »
Well, starting with an indepth explanation of this season's fashion trends is always a good way to soften up the ground a bit. :)

Thats kind of a contradiction in terms: Don't want to tell, how do I tell.  (even jokes should make sense)

I think I'm GAY. I just don't want to tell anyone. :-[ How to I tell my friends and family?

I'ts not a joke. I know that was kinda awkward and I'm sorry about that. I just think it's the right thing to do. It could be fun. I want to be more progressive. I've been angry, neo-soul, "gay", myself and I think I'm going to go for the real deal gay thing. I don't want to tell people but how do I do it? Help me come out :-\

NathanB

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 04:55:06 PM »
I think that is one of the reasons that the gay rights movement took a while to get rolling.  If every gay person was born with GAY tattooed on their face or something, then there would be no hiding.  It was that way for the AA community - they couldn't escape their skin pigment.

On a side note, are there really very many bisexual people out there?  I have always kind of thought of most of them as "gay-questioning" or "gay-curious" and not yet converted.  Who knows.  I guess its ultimately each person's decision.

In other news, I should be working.

This quesiton would have no business as an aa qualifier unless you could show that gays are underrepresented in the legal profession which would be hard to do since we dont have any certain estimates of what percentege of the legal profession is gay, or even for that matter the population. I have seen ranges as large at a ten % spread for the population. Thats a lot.

On a side note, you can't lie about being black, you can lie about being gay. I bet if this question was added and people were given a bonus there would be lots more people applying as "bisexual" just for the bonus, thus efesting the purpose of it as an identifier.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2005, 05:34:35 PM »
This quesiton would have no business as an aa qualifier unless you could show that gays are underrepresented in the legal profession which would be hard to do since we dont have any certain estimates of what percentege of the legal profession is gay, or even for that matter the population.  I have seen ranges as large at a ten % spread for the population.  Thats a lot.

On a side note, you can't lie about being black, you can lie about being gay.  I bet if this question was added and people were given a bonus there would be lots more people applying as "bisexual" just for the bonus, thus efesting the purpose of it as an identifier.

One of my friends was talking about that too.  What if he crafted a heartfelt essay about how rough a time he had as a homosexual, but he's straight as a nail?  Do they require some sort of confirmation of this fact, when it's not even acknowledged as a true AA factor?

NathanB

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 05:51:01 PM »
Yes - you're required to make out w/ a guy in front of the adcomm prior to admission.

This quesiton would have no business as an aa qualifier unless you could show that gays are underrepresented in the legal profession which would be hard to do since we dont have any certain estimates of what percentege of the legal profession is gay, or even for that matter the population. I have seen ranges as large at a ten % spread for the population. Thats a lot.

On a side note, you can't lie about being black, you can lie about being gay. I bet if this question was added and people were given a bonus there would be lots more people applying as "bisexual" just for the bonus, thus efesting the purpose of it as an identifier.

One of my friends was talking about that too. What if he crafted a heartfelt essay about how rough a time he had as a homosexual, but he's straight as a nail? Do they require some sort of confirmation of this fact, when it's not even acknowledged as a true AA factor?

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »
go ahead and feign homosexuality so you get whatever boost you think it's worth.  but come the day when folks find out you have no real history or future of being homosexual, that perjury charge is gonna sting something special.

NathanB

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:32 PM »
You know, technically, it would be lying on your app to say that you were gay if you weren't, and that is grounds not only for dismissal from Law School but also for removal from the bar.

go ahead and feign homosexuality so you get whatever boost you think it's worth. but come the day when folks find out you have no real history or future of being homosexual, that perjury charge is gonna sting something special.

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2005, 06:04:36 PM »
There's no way I would do it, simply for the reason that if I were ever in a position of public recognition, it would be a horrible thing to come back and bite me in the ass.

But regarding the perjury charge or grounds for dismissal from law school...it's known and accepted that it can take as long as age 20-25 to realize their homosexuality.  So what if a gay student becomes straight, or realizes that he/she is bisexual and more attracted to the opposite sex?

Sorry, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but you're all going to be future lawyers so this shouldn't seem offensive.

NathanB

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 06:06:50 PM »
Well, thats true, but it technically wouldn't mean that you still weren't lying on your app.

Think about it this way.  Say I put in my app that the sky is red.  Now, we all know that the sky is blue (mostly) in the day and black (mostly) at night.  However, 20 years later, the sky turns red.  Does that mean I didn't lie?  No, I still lied, but it became true later.

There's no way I would do it, simply for the reason that if I were ever in a position of public recognition, it would be a horrible thing to come back and bite me in the ass.

But regarding the perjury charge or grounds for dismissal from law school...it's known and accepted that it can take as long as age 20-25 to realize their homosexuality. So what if a gay student becomes straight, or realizes that he/she is bisexual and more attracted to the opposite sex?

Sorry, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but you're all going to be future lawyers so this shouldn't seem offensive.