Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you playing the "Sexual Orientation Card" in your personal statement?

Main focus of my Personal Statement.
A key point among other topics.
Mentioned in passing.
Not mentioned, just because.
Afraid to mention for fear of discrimination in the process.
Mentioned in some, not in others.

Gay Law Student Discussion Board

DESI

Re: Gay Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 09:42:31 AM »
i have never seen sexual preference as an AA qualifier.  However, when speaking about diversity, a gay applicant is a diverse candidate, just like an engineer is a diverse candidate, when compared to the standard cookie cutter white male poli sci major.  They are look for diversity of thought and intellect.  Totally separate from AA.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 10:49:43 AM »
I think it depends on his or her circumstances, especially if they can provide an instance to where their sexual orientation held them at a disadvantage. At my school one of the students supposedly "came out" to another student and that student told some members of the administration. The school held a meeting with the student that "came out," but he said that he wasn't gay but still supported gay marrage. Well, long story short, the school revoked his scholarships and he ended up transfering to another school.

Another instance is when a group of gay students wanted to organize a "Christian gay" group on campus and the school threatened to kick everyone out if they join. Additionally, everytime the group "chalked" the sidewalks to indicate meeting places and times, the school would wash down the sidewalks in that area. The sidewalk is covered in bird crap, but the school chose to wash a chalking instead of the bird crap....now thats degrading.

I would say that if you are gay, and in that kind of situation, you have a good case regarding hardship.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 11:19:06 AM »
"I don't even think straight"--- that's TOO funny!!  lol

I agree that it depends on the circumstances.  Besides, it would probably be made obvious by your involvement in our school's gay rights club... oh, wait... I'm involved in mine and I'm not gay... hmmm...  There goes that theory.

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 11:43:19 AM »
Hey MidJeep- do you go to Baylor?  I go to school in Texas and Ive heard of stuff like that going on at Baylor.  Thats really sad to hear about how people are treated.  :(

My best friend is a gay white guy and he's applying to grad schools right now and he is totally going to use his "diversity" as an angle to get into school, even though so far in his life, being gay hasnt negatively affected him.  I dont personally agree with this, but he's my friend and I want him to get into the schools he wants.
Although he's not ashamed to be gay, he can easily go into an interview or store and no one thinks "Look at that gay man." Like HBCU said, I on the otherhand have the double whammy of being black and female and people know it as soon as they see me.

If you can show a certain situation about where your sexual orientation affected you, write about it because its a part of who you are.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 03:01:02 PM »
Hey MidJeep- do you go to Baylor?  I go to school in Texas and Ive heard of stuff like that going on at Baylor.  Thats really sad to hear about how people are treated.  :(

My best friend is a gay white guy and he's applying to grad schools right now and he is totally going to use his "diversity" as an angle to get into school, even though so far in his life, being gay hasnt negatively affected him.  I dont personally agree with this, but he's my friend and I want him to get into the schools he wants.
Although he's not ashamed to be gay, he can easily go into an interview or store and no one thinks "Look at that gay man." Like HBCU said, I on the otherhand have the double whammy of being black and female and people know it as soon as they see me.

If you can show a certain situation about where your sexual orientation affected you, write about it because its a part of who you are.

Yup, went to Good Ole BU. Although I don't agree with its harsh treatment of homosexuals, it is a private school and it is Baptist (though I would think that Baptist would try and be a little more inclusive and try and "save" people before they kick them out, but whatever). Students should know what to expect before they attend a school and accept its policies.

Butch

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 07:00:15 PM »
I'm going to be including my sexual orientation in my personal essay for a couple of reasons...

One, because I want to go into public interest law and would love to work for an LGBT causes.  I have spent the past 5 years working for LGBT non-profits, so of course I mention this in my essay.

Also, I woudlnt want to go to any school that would deny me admission based on my being gay...so if a homohpobic adcom rules me out, then so be it. I dont want them!

In response to the other statements here, I think being an LGBT student *does* have its challenges, especially depending on where you were born and raised. It's a lot harder to be gay in some states than others.  Gay people have to overcome sigifnicant challenges lots of times and are victims of all sorts of abuse (some verbal abuse right here on this very board).

I think when we have a President who advocates for changing the constitution to harm gays, then obviously we need to counter that with future lawyers to further LGBT rights.

NathanB

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 02:39:06 PM »
bump

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
I think I'm GAY. I just don't want to tell anyone.  :-[ How to I tell my friends and family?

NathanB

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 02:44:41 PM »
Thats kind of a contradiction in terms: Don't want to tell, how do I tell.  (even jokes should make sense)

I think I'm GAY. I just don't want to tell anyone. :-[ How to I tell my friends and family?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »
bump

Good bump.  That was an interesting read.

I just can't shake the feeling that we (out queers) are probably more likely to be over- than under- represented in law schools, if only because the people who will find it easier to be out are also the people who have other kinds of freedoms that make applying for and getting into law school easier.

It might come up in my PS, but only as a perspective thing; I've only ever had one person say a single word against me because of my orientation (the Northeast + hippie parents = great for a queer kid), and that was my ex-boyfriend immediately after I came out (and thereby made him my ex), so I don't really blame him.  ;)