Law School Discussion

Poll

Are you playing the "Sexual Orientation Card" in your personal statement?

Main focus of my Personal Statement.
A key point among other topics.
Mentioned in passing.
Not mentioned, just because.
Afraid to mention for fear of discrimination in the process.
Mentioned in some, not in others.

Gay Law Student Discussion Board

ryanjm

• View Profile
Re: Gay Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 10:51:17 PM »
I don't think butt-pirates and carpet-munchers get special consideration. Yes, taking it in the ass all day(literally) is difficult and may present a hardship, but I don't think your average law school admissions officer will be too sympathetic.

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 10:52:27 PM »
I don't think butt-pirates and carpet-munchers get special consideration. Yes, taking it in the ass all day(literally) is difficult and may present a hardship, but I don't think your average law school admissions officer will be too sympathetic.

GO AWAY, JACKASS >:(

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 10:58:53 PM »

Clearly you are fool, a damn no good fool. I imagine that you think you are clever and prbably think that you have some sort of justification for thinking that being gay is some sort of problem. You are wrong. You may also think that some god, gods, or other super powerful imaginary friend of yours has told you these things. You are wrong there too.

I have also noticed that you have, at times attacked DOWNY. This is also unacceptable. I suggest you take you anti-gay, anti-DOWNY assholisness elsewere. You are not welcome here, and I imagine not in many other places.

lexylit

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 11:06:17 PM »
im a big fan of the giffy.

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 11:09:03 PM »
im a big fan of the giffy.

ahhhh... Thanks lexy, your the best.  ;D ;D ;D

runnin_skeerd

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 12:34:15 AM »
Please tell me gay people don't get special consideration. ??? :o

Special consideration = affirmative action

We're not looking for special consideration.  Being gay is as much a part of who we are as being black is for a person of color.  To draw on that special circumstance is not to seek special consideration but to give the adcomm a feeling of who you are and what you've been through in life.  It's all about making yourself look like a unique person.  Focusing on sexual orientation (or race for that matter) may give you an edge because you've got something other than the usual Moot Court, PAD, Sorority or Fraternity affiliation, or other run-of-the-mill extra-curricular activity.  I think members of adcomms are more interested in what makes an applicant unique and what each applicant can add to the diversity of the classroom.  If you've got it, faunt it.

DESI

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 12:38:15 AM »

who said adcomms were sympathetic?  they are really unsympathetic.  if you have the numbers, you're in.  if you're borderline, you get tossed aside for further review.  if you're ttt, which i suspect you may be, you get throw in the reject pile

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 06:55:01 AM »
-We're not looking for special consideration.  Being gay is as much a part of who we are as being black is for a person of color.-

This is not true! You don't have to be "out" to be gay. There are a lot of gay people out there who go to school, work, etc and keep their sexuality on the "down low"...well, until it comes time to apply to law school and they are like "I'm Gay and it's been so hard for me to live my life! It's like being black!" bull!!. Black people have to be black 24/7. We can't get away from our skin color in this white dominated racist ass society. Gay people on the other hand can hide that *&^% until it's time to come out i.e, apply to law school. I just don't like it when gay people try to "ride" the black struggle. 

Everyman

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 07:14:57 AM »

Worst. Troll. Evar.

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 09:31:39 AM »
damn right they do. The whole idea is that certain people have some circumstance beyond ther control that has affected their ability to succeed acedmically. With an astronomical suicide rate and with high levels of harrassment and discrinimation, gay americans definitly fit the bill. I can safely say that my gay friends had a MUCH harder time then myself in terms of being able to succeed acedemically.  It really is no diffrent then someone who say had cancer while in college and subsequently underpreformed. Its all jsut a part of the great game of admissions. 

Whether or not being gay is "beyond their control" is debatable.  I don't think it should be an affirmative action qualifier like race or gender.