Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What the HECK?  (Read 1375 times)

thechoson

What the HECK?
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:08:18 PM »
Ok, I am worried...
Here's what happened. I emailed a school asking about my file.  My LSDAS report was sent March 2nd, yet that school had not contacted me about whether my file was complete.
They emailed me back, saying they had mailed something regarding my application file March 15!  now this is a school within the state, so I guess something's wrong with the mail.  Anyways, they asked me to wait a couple more days, then call back.  This has me worried.  I mean if it was something mundane, or an acceptance offer, wouldn't they just tell me on the phone?  Why would they tell me to wait for the mail, which has already taken longer than it should?
Is this bad news?  By the way, this school is McGeorge, which I thought I'd be a shoo in to...

So I don't know, any thoughts?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What the HECK?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 10:26:05 PM »
Some schools have strict policies about not giving any notifications over the phone or email. From a security standpoint, it's a good idea not to do anything except mail, as it prevents forged emails or prank calls.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:15:53 AM »
yeah, don't worry... only one of my 127337712719 schools told me by phone. =p

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:11:36 AM »
You just have a case of pre-acceptance jitters.   8)

scooterbop

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 07:29:57 PM »
OK, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems as if you have already started sliding down the slippery "what-if" trail, so I'll just give you a little extra push down the slope...

I had a similar experience and called Catholic U. to check on my application status.  After giving my social security number I was put on hold, when the office clerk or whomever got back on the phone, his words were to "hang out" by the mailbox because my letter had been sent out already.  His words, not mine. "Hanging out" implies good news.  Although he did not give me my status, his tone was all the acceptance I needed. (My official acceptance letter came three days later.)

So, my point here is, HOW did she say your letter was in the mail?  Was it all business and to the point?  If so, I would be a little worried.  Although, she could just be ultra-professional and not at all moved by the excitement that law applicants feel when they receive an acceptance.  That's a possibility and hopefully, that's what it is, but if it were me, I think I would start preparing myself for the worst... :-\

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 01:17:41 PM »
Well the saga is over...
I called again, and this time they told me I was accepted, and would send me a copy of the letter.  It's going to suck if it turns out that a deposit is due April 1st.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 01:30:51 PM »
Oh, and I was going to add...
Some schools, whether contacting them via email, phone, or direct contact with representatives at forums, have been very curt and sometimes rude, as if I am doing them a favor (I've gotten this from some lower tiered schools as well)
However, I just wanted to add for people who care about this kind of stuff, McGeorge has been very polite and professional from the day I first made contact with a representative up to now. 
These type of things I would consider when making my ultimate decision, I mean if people are constantly rude to me, I'd really have to wonder about those schools...