Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS and Grammar question  (Read 591 times)

Engilaw

PS and Grammar question
« on: October 08, 2004, 11:27:24 AM »
Two questions, feel free to chime in:

QUESTION 1:
In my PS I have a sentence that goes like this:

"He sat stoic, as I explained to him ...." 

In the context that I am talking about how someone was listening and reacting to what I was saying.

A fried of mine said that you can't be stoic about an action, you ARE stoic.  So my thought is this:

Does anyone have a better way of saying that?  or should I says "He sat stoically, as I explained..."

QUESTION 2:
My personal statment is about 881 words long.  Is there anything wrong with my changing the font to size 10/11 or the spacing to 1.5 to make it fit 2 pages if a school doesn't explicitly state double spacing and size 12 font?

Engilaw

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PS and Grammar question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 11:29:35 AM »
I'm an engineer, not going to touch a grammar question

#2)  I'd make it fit on two pages.  You may want to consider cutting line spacing down form double to 1.5, but 10/11 point should be fine.  3 pages is way too long.

buster

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 11:32:21 AM »
Your friend is right, but I personally find the word "stoically" to be a bit awkward. How 'bout "grimly", "impassively" or "stone-faced"? If you want to post a longer excerpt it might be easier to consider alternatives in context.

Does anyone have a better way of saying that?  or should I says "He sat stoically, as I explained..."

Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't look too squeezed. I did the same thing.

QUESTION 2:
My personal statment is about 881 words long.  Is there anything wrong with my changing the font to size 10/11 or the spacing to 1.5 to make it fit 2 pages if a school doesn't explicitly state double spacing and size 12 font?

Engilaw

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 11:32:30 AM »
stoic doesn't work there, you need to pick another word.

dta

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:40:39 AM »
I got mine down to 2 pages by expanding the left and right margins and also reducing the top and bottom buffer zones of the page. I gave it to my wife to look at after printing it out and asked her "does anything look weird or funny about this?" and she didn't even notice my shenanigans with the margins.

Maybe try that too. I think it's less noticeable than font size reduction.

dta

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 11:44:26 AM »
Your friend is probably right, but for what it's worth i read your sentence:

"He sat stoic"

as

He sat <dramatic pause> stoic

which in full explicit wording seemed to mean:

He sat and was stoic

Thus, your shortened "he sat stoic" seemed to just be a more dramatic and implicit way of using stoic w/ the "to be" verb "was".

Engilaw

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 11:53:27 AM »
Thanks, I think what I should clarify is that it may have been the wrong word entirely, since he was sitting there, quietly and unmoving, while i argued for why some policies were unfair.  It wasn't like I was telling him I killed his dog or something.  Thanks again.

Engilaw

(sorry for the glow, i had to try it)