Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which UC is better: Hastings or Davis?  (Read 4572 times)

jameslin

• View Profile
Re: Which UC is better: Hastings or Davis?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 01:32:28 PM »
Merriweather...url is www.law.ucdavis.edu/statuscheck.
Gohan, thanks for the response.  I did community service up the yin yang while in college and worked 35 hrs a week.  But my LSDAS was a 3.4 (UGPA 3.5) LSAT 167.  Got waitlisted from Hastings so I'm just crossing my fingers for Davis (which is where I went for undergrad).  It's a great little college town, has reasonable housing prices, and a newly renovated campus.  If you like biking, this is the place for you.  Parking, however, is expensive and quite a pain to find.  Oh yeah, if you have allergies, spring time is terrible in Davis.

saoryyy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »
Hi,
Davis also one of my top choices right now, yet I'm still waiting on Hastings. I am curious if anyone knows how well the reputations of Davis and Hastings are OUTSIDE of california. In my home state (west coast), it seems like Hastings is more well-known than Davis... I don't know yet if I'll return home after law school (I've been living in the Bay Area for 5 years, including undergrad), but it would be something to keep in mind.

I'm also considering Santa Clara (being a non-resident, tuition isn't a huge factor), so if anyone has any opinions, I'd luv to hear them!

Thanks!

skotval

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 05:59:44 PM »
From what I have heard, Hastings seems to be a much more competitive environment than Davis.  Also, it's in a not so great area of the city.  Just something to think about!

CoolMe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 03:31:10 AM »
Congrats, on Davis.

I'd go with Davis becuase I like the campus, and the laid back atmosphere.  The bathrooms were really (unacceptable) messy when I vistied there last summer, but other then that I really liked the campus and the law school.

From what I've heard of Hastings it's in a run down area, but the building itself is pretty majestic.  I've also heard that hastings is one of the most cutthroat law schools.  My numbers might be off, but I believe that Hastings has a large class 450+.  Davis is around 190.  I think Hastings has a lot of Part time students too.  Davis is almost all full time.

If my memory serves me correctly Hastings has a pretty high attrition rate, and academic failout rate.  True, Hastings might place a little better than Davis,especially in SF, but thats probably because they weed out the bottom percentage of the class after 1L.

I'd look into the numbers alittle more, since it's been a while since I looked at them.  But I think thats the general consensus on the two schools.  Go where you'll fit in and be happy.  Good luck.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 04:07:20 AM »
Congratulations on Davis! 

I don't go to Hastings, but I've lived in the Bay Area all my life, so I can tell you a few things about the area where Hastings is. 

First off, Hastings does not have a part-time program (if it does, I guess I've been living under a rock for the past few years).  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't know of any UC law school that has a part time program. 

Hastings is in an odd place.  One one side, it's in a nasty, nasty area known as the Tenderloin.  It's the forgotten part of Market street.  It's dirty, and it seems like there are a bunch of homeless drugged out prostitutes walking around at all times of the day.  On the other side of Hastings (mind you Hastings has no campus, but just a bunch of buildings), is City Hall and a few opera houses and concert halls.  It is also quite close to the Castro.  Yes, I'm sure someone will say something about the relatively high number of gay people in the Bay Area, but first off, if you have a problem with gay people and if you are pretty open about your hatred towards them, Hastings (in fact any school in the Bay Area) will not be the place for you!  SF is very diverse in every sense of the word.  Anyway, the fact that it's near Castro makes rent quite high.  For those who don't know, gay white males in SF are known to have high salaries--and many of them live in the Castro or the area around the Castro (area around Hastings--the nice part, not the Tenderloin).  Thus, forcing the rent to be quite high around the area.   

But who says you have to live near Hastings?  The great thing about the Bay Area is the public transportation.  Unfortunately, it's not as wonderful as the NYC metro system--which I totally love!  But, we have BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and the MUNI system (buses and other rail cars) that can easily take you around the city.  So, if you do choose to go to Hastings, I recommend living farther away from Hastings.  Rent becomes a little cheaper, and the area you'll end up living in will be much nicer. 

I actually visited Hasting's facilities and they are in fact very nice!  (They are actually much, much, MUCH nicer than Boalt's.) 

As for reputation in SF, Hastings is pretty well known and well respected.  It's unforunate that its students has to compete with Boalt and Stanford Law students, but Hasting students get their fair share in the job market as well.  Besides, many Boalt and Stanford students choose to try their luck in other job markets--not just in the Bay Area.  If anything, Hasting students might have to compete with USF law and Golden Gate grads.   

If you are more of a city person, I would definitely choose Hastings over Davis.  And don't worry about the competition in Hastings.  I'm sure every law school is competitive in their own respects. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 10:04:22 AM »
I actually live very near San Francisco, and I have to say that Hastings is actually located in a good area of the city (although it is not far from the "bad area", which is not bad at all). As for the students, yes, I did hear some pretty bad things about their personality (like ripping pages off library books so others will not be able to use it).
   If I am also accepted at Hastings, I will certainly need to visit both schools (the other is Davis) to make a decision as where I would like to live for the next thre years of my life. Still, I do consider San Francisco the best city of the entire US, which at the present does give an edge to Hastings.

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 10:30:48 AM »
Hello jameslin

I believe you LSAT score more than make up for your GPA (which is still very good). I would have to ask you what kind of community work you did. Was is law related? In addition, are you applying to Davis while still an undergraduate student? I was going to start law school at USF in 2002, right after graduating with a B.A. in Liberal Arts (History) from a school in Philadelphia. After visiting USF, I decided that perhaps if I attempted to improve my resume, I would be able to get in to a better law school (but USF seems to be a very nice school). So I  I decided that the best thing for me to do was to wait for two years before reapplying.
   My volunteer work consisted in working for two legal organizations in San Francisco, which allowed me to interact with low income clients who were involved in an unlawful detainer case or who were attempting to obtain divorce, child custody and in some occasions, a restraining order against the spouse. This certainly gave me lots of material for my personal statement (Davis requires you to write about all your accomplishments in your PS. I decided to focus mainly on my accomplishments after college, a gamble that paid of.
    In comclusion, schools like Davis want to see a student who is not only bright, but also mature enough to want to be an attorney. The best way to prove that is perhaps taking some years off before applying to law school and try to experience life out the shell of the university life.
   That does not mean, of course, that good schools will not accept a student who is just finishing college. I do have some acquaintances who were accepted at Harvard law school. However, they were not only good students, but also very exceptional people whose talents were well known to the public. As for the rest of us, we just have to work a little hard to prove that we are indeed capable of studying at a top law school.
   Just remember people, being accepted at a law school is not only about numbers, but also about other accomplishments you have, such as academic honors, community and professional work experience, and how the  admission committee sees you after reading your personal statement.

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 02:19:54 PM »
I also am from right outside of SF and I gotta tell ya I didnt even apply to Davis because I have no interest in living in Yolo County! I mean really, if youre used to the city, and all the great things of San Francisco, Davis/Sacramento/Woodland is not going to cut it for ya.... and the heat in the summer - forgetaboutit!!!

gohan00001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 09:24:34 PM »
Dear ecbirm

I hear you!!! Between the good urban life offered by San Francisco, and the rural life of Davis, will definitively go for studying in San Francisco. However, not having heard from UC Hastings yet, but having been accepted at UC Davis and USF, I will definitively go to Davis. That is because I my chances of gettign a good job in San Francisco are much higher if I go to Davis.

jameslin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 04:51:38 AM »
Hey Gohan...my volunteer work is nowhere as impressive as yours.  I was in a community service frat, held a couple leadership positions, and worked mostly with underprivileged minority groups around the Davis/Sacramento area (nothing law related).  I didn't even know I wanted to be a lawyer until I saw the problems that the poorer people faced getting decent legal representation.  I'm a year out of college now and managing a couple franchised stores to pick up some cash to foot the bill for law school.  As far as academic honors, I pretty much have the standard graduating with honors and dean's lists, nothing out of the ordinary.  I guess nothing in my application really stands out.  Guess I just have to hope for the best.  Anyway, thanks for all your feedback and congrats on getting in to Davis.  Goodluck with Hastings as well!