Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Creative vs. "career" essays? Which one???  (Read 591 times)

ewm12

• View Profile
Creative vs. "career" essays? Which one???
« on: October 07, 2004, 11:28:18 PM »
HI All! I'm looking for some feedback...what's everyone's take on the "career" essay vs. the creative essay?  I've heard such conflicting info.  Was looking at "How to get into the top law swchools" by montauk today and he is really into marketing yourself.  He says your essay should pretty much answer the question on why you want to go to law schoool and discuss your qualifications.  On the other hand, i've read other books which say to go more creative and you don't even need to adress the whole "why i want to go to law school" thing? Are most people focusing in one one event?

I started out trying to mesh these, but can tell it's going to be too long. 

dunson

Re: Creative vs. "career" essays? Which one???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 11:38:33 PM »
well marketing yourself could mean by making yourself an individual, which i think the creative essay would lend itself to

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 11:43:01 PM »
It's gotta show why they should think you're going to be a motivated and succesful law student.  You've gotta show a little of both to do that.  Write the one you're thinking is going to be too long....once it's done, you can start cutting it down.

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 08:29:53 AM »
Mine was straight career.  The same kind I used for finding jobs.  But my PS was also focussed on that also. 

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 09:49:50 AM »
I believe it's alright to mention your past work experience if it helps you make a point about determination, etc. that would be relevant to attending law school.  I have always been advised to not restate your resume in your ps.  Hopefully that helped.  Be creative and if that entails mentioning your past work experience, go for it.   
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 10:08:38 AM »
I used my personal statement to counter my low lsat score. I talked about all of the things that I have overcome to prove that I can handle the work load. I talked about my successes and then how those things tied together to make me want to go to law school. I think you need to decide what you want to portray then try to make it creative as well as functional.

Good luck.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/