Law School Discussion

uncle is an alum

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
uncle is an alum
« on: October 07, 2004, 05:15:54 PM »
My mom thinks that I should ask my uncle to write me an additional LOR for W&M because he's an uber-successful alum and graduated first in his class. I'm not particularly close to him, but he is my uncle.

Opinions, please.

EKC

absy

• View Profile
Re: uncle is an alum
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 05:17:02 PM »
Isn't there a space on the app to put your relation to alumni?  That seems like it would do the trick

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »
yes, i'm almost certain that there is. and i think that's plenty. she thinks i should get an additional letter because he's an important person. seems to me that adcomms would look down on this though...

Isn't there a space on the app to put your relation to alumni?  That seems like it would do the trick

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 06:38:50 PM »
if you're not close to him, his letter won't say much that'll be useful. if you get waitlisted though you could have him make a phone call

DESI

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 06:48:14 PM »
bad idea EKC.  list him as a relative (with his permission) and get a LOR from an academic source.

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 08:58:20 PM »
thanks guys. exactly what I thought. I'll tell my mom to shove it:) (Lexi, I do like the idea of him calling/writing letter if I get waitlisted).

EKC

bad idea EKC.  list him as a relative (with his permission) and get a LOR from an academic source.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 08:18:15 AM »
I second Lexy's suggestion.  It could add just a little if he calls/writes if you're on the waitlist.