Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Addendum- Is this an acceptable reason??  (Read 903 times)

Everyman

Addendum- Is this an acceptable reason??
« on: October 07, 2004, 05:34:44 PM »
Is this a significant enough reason to write an addendum?  Here's a rough draft of what I'd write.

During the fall semester of 2003, I was struck with a bout of pneumonia.  As I am already immunodeficient, the negative effects of this sickness were dramatically multiplied.  The circumstances forced me to withdraw from one of the classes and accept incompletes in the other three.  In order to better support my claim, I have attached copies of blood work showing my immunodeficiency as well as University Health Service records indicating the diagnosis. 

The following winter semester (2004), I was taking a full load of courses while simultaneously finishing the incompletes from the previous semester.  As a result of this incredible course load, I withdrew from two courses that semester and received much lower grades than usual for the now-completed courses of fall 2003.  Once the additional burden was relieved, my performance recovered, and I was able to achieve a 3.591 for the remaining 11 credits of that winter semester.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: Addendum- Is this an acceptable reason??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »
Yes, include that with your application.  But taking a full load of courses and trying to finish your incompletes wasn't a good move.  So, include something like you wanted to try and challenege yourself, etc. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Everyman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 06:26:39 PM »
What about, "I wanted to graduate on time, so I took a shitload of courses."??

In all seriousness, maybe if I threw in "In an attempt to challenge myself, the following semester (winter 2004) I took a full load of courses while simultaneously finishing the incompletes from the previous semester." instead of what's there.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 06:45:07 PM »
I'm not so sure that saying you wanted to challenge yourself is the best angle.  What I see in that situation is, this kid almost died, then wanted to challenge himself?  Nah.

I think you should go with 'taking an aggressive graduation schedule' and working extra hard to meet you goal.

Just my $0.02.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 06:48:19 PM »
i agree with kyle, fwiw.

ekc

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 07:55:35 AM »
I agree w/ Kyle also - just say you were trying to keep up with the coursework so you could graduate on time.  Also, your medical records may do it sufficiently, but I would make sure that the immunodeficiency is defined or explained.  Many people hearing that automatically think HIV, which might weigh against you in admissions.

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 12:37:27 PM »
I agree w/ Kyle also - just say you were trying to keep up with the coursework so you could graduate on time.  Also, your medical records may do it sufficiently, but I would make sure that the immunodeficiency is defined or explained.  Many people hearing that automatically think HIV, which might weigh against you in admissions.

My first thought was that they might be concerned that the same thing will happen again once you get into law school. I am not familiar with what you have exactly, but are you on any tye of medication?

Everyman

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 12:46:42 PM »
IgG 2 and 4 deficient.

The doctors sought plasma transfusions, but I would have become more or less dependent on them.  I declined, not wanting to be dependent on anything like that.  As a result, I get slammed with sinus infections, strep, and other things about once a year, where my temp often exceeds 104-105.  Would it also be helpful to have the nurse practitioner I almost always see write a note about how she's had to prescribe me antibiotics like 4-6 times over the past 4 years for related illnesses??

Or would my original blood test results (showing a deficiency), coupled with the UHS records from that fall, be enough (ie, not worry about the ongoing deficiency)??

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »
Original blood test results + UHS records from that semester are enough. If you paint a picture of serious illnesses being a frequent thing, adcomms might doubt your ability to perform consistentlyover 3 years of LS.