Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CyberLaw Programs  (Read 3424 times)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
CyberLaw Programs
« on: October 07, 2004, 02:01:24 PM »
Aside from Stanford, what schools have strong CyberLaw programs? Does anybody know?

[And apologies, I accidently started a thread in a similar forum, before I realized this would be a proper venue for it.]
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

dominikasson

Re: CyberLaw Programs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 02:33:10 PM »
According to USNEWS, the top intellectual property schools are:
1.  University of California–Berkeley 
2.  George Washington University (DC)
3.  Stanford University (CA)
4.  Duke University (NC)
5.  New York University 
6.  Cardozo-Yeshiva University (NY)
7.  Franklin Pierce Law Center (NH)
8.  Columbia University (NY)
9.  DePaul University (IL)
   University of Houston 
11.  Boston University 
12.  John Marshall Law School (IL)
13.  Santa Clara University (CA)
14.  Georgetown University (DC)
15.  Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago-Kent) 
16.  University of Washington 
17.  Harvard University (MA)
18.  University of Minnesota–Twin Cities 
19.  Case Western Reserve University (OH)
   University of California–Los Angeles 
21.  Fordham University (NY)
22.  Boston College 
   George Mason University (VA)
   University of Texas–Austin 
   Washington University in St. Louis 
   Yale University (CT)
27.  American University (Washington College of Law) (DC)
   University of Pennsylvania 

Note quite cyberlaw, but intellectual property is the big umbrella...

dominikasson

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 02:39:57 PM »
ps- i'm also going to law school to study cyberlaw- and while stanford (near the hotbead of silicon valley) would be first choice, there are plenty of other, not so highly ranked schools, that would more than suffice and probably give scholarship money...

ahh, but stanford would be nice...

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:26:32 PM »
Thanks Dominik.

My list is:

Stanford
Duke
Berkeley
George Washington University
New York University
University of Texas
Georgetown
Columbia

(in rough order of preference).

Any obvious cyberlaw programs I missed? I'm willing to apply to one more school.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

dominikasson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:19:43 PM »
I would add UCLA to the mix

dr_draino

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 04:31:37 PM »
Out of curiosity, are you guys interested in doing "cyberlaw" research as law students or are you hoping to exclusively practice "cyberlaw".  My knee jerk reaction is that that's gonna be a field with limited practical application and that it'd be hard to build a career (or start a career) as someone who specifically practices internet-related law.  Maybe I'm wrong, just curious.

dominikasson

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 04:52:24 PM »
The internet has changed and challenged age-old definitions of business and law (even college students have had their run in with intellectual property on the internet- namely, downloading music/movies)- the parameters of the law within the context of the internet have yet to be established- and perhaps will never be firmly established, as the speed of change and innovation on the internet are unsurmountable-
I have significant business experience with the internet and e-commerce, and issues such as business model patents (in context of e-commerce), cybersecurity etc arise on a daily basis-  understanding them from a legal perspective is of paramount importance, and as current court cases reveal, we are still struggling to define law within the context of the internet- I am personally interested in startup internet companies in which knowledge of cyberlaw is paramount to success

those are my two cents
perhaps more than two cents

it's a largely unchartered area of law because it is so 'new'- a lot of opporutunity for those willing to enter the unknown...i hope ;)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 07:27:09 PM »
Thanks for the UCLA tip. I'll probably end up applying there too. :).

Out of curiosity, are you guys interested in doing "cyberlaw" research as law students or are you hoping to exclusively practice "cyberlaw".  My knee jerk reaction is that that's gonna be a field with limited practical application and that it'd be hard to build a career (or start a career) as someone who specifically practices internet-related law.  Maybe I'm wrong, just curious.

I totally disagree. The internet is becoming more important with each passing day.

For instance:

Suppose somebody on this board admitted to cheating on the LSAT. LSAC found out about it. To maintain the integrity of the test, they subpoena LSD to get the IP information, then subpoena the ISP to find out who the person is, then refer that person to the disciplinary committee. Should that be legal? 

If you said no: What if the person admitted to Lying on a law school application? Vehicular homicide? Forgery? Murder?

If you said yes: What about speeding? Petty theft? Lying on a résumé?

Where are those lines drawn, and what are the expectations for privacy online?

That's *just* civil liberties issues, which are largely undefined. That doesn't even begin to contemplate the massive amounts of business done online, and how that's going to shape our society.

Friend, I respect your opinion.... but I would say it's about as short-sighted as saying that there's no opportunities for intellectual property law, because "it's just a few movies". Perhaps, but there's a ton of cash involved.  I'm not saying it's 'better' than any other field, but I am saying that there is money to be made.

dr_draino

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 07:30:42 PM »
I wasn't saying the internet isn't big, I was just thinking, with your hypothetical involving LSAC, how many of those cases will pop up in a year and how much can you actually make off of it?  Can you make enough to support yourself ONLY doing this kinda work?  My intuition tells me maybe not...but Dominion seems to know the e-business world pretty well and feels confident she can make a living doing just cyberlaw, so my intuition could very well be wrong.  Just curious is all.

dominikasson

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 12:34:52 AM »
To be fair, my intentions with cyberlaw are directed towards e-business models (and startup internet companies particularly). I want to delve in both business and legal aspects pertaining to e-commerce. I imagine there's a considerable market for *just* cyberlawyers, namely in the form of consulting (and not for just places like Microsoft)- but I really don't know myself (although a google search of 'cyberlawyers' brings up an appreciable number of websites).

At any rate, I suppose we can always whore ourselves to corporate law if all else fails (jokes)

ps-i like the 'dominion'- more lawyerly than 'dominika'