Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mandatory Attendance  (Read 2075 times)

jgruber

Mandatory Attendance
« on: March 23, 2004, 03:45:22 PM »
I just read an interesting document on my school's (mine starting in August) website.  It lists the allowable number of absences from class before you will be dropped from the course.   :o  For the year long courses it is seven.  For the shorter courses it is either two or four.

Has anyone encountered mandatory classes attendance at other schools?

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mandatory Attendance
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 07:30:52 PM »
now THERE's a good question! i didn't realize that they had such strict guidelines like that! thanks for sharing! :)

aj

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 08:12:48 PM »
I think it's the ABA or some organization that mandates you need to have at least a certain amount of classroom hours per year, depending on if you are full or part time.  To comply with these hours, I think every school has some kind of attendance policy

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:08:42 AM »
I think it's the ABA or some organization that mandates you need to have at least a certain amount of classroom hours per year, depending on if you are full or part time.  To comply with these hours, I think every school has some kind of attendance policy

This is a non-ABA school.  I thought it odd that attendance was required after reading One L and postings about people playing solitare in class.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 09:15:37 AM »
Is it truly a bad idea though to actually require students to come to class?

Karen W.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »
Is it truly a bad idea though to actually require students to come to class?

Karen W.

I plan to attend every class I can, even the boring ones.  Actually I plan to stir things up when they get boring.  They will either teach me or kick me out.   :)

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 09:37:41 AM »
i think it could be good and bad. i think for me it would be both. it would 'encourage' me not to miss class unless i was so sick i couldn't move from my bed...of course i have gone to class in that bad of shape before, now that i think about it. lol

but for me, it would help me to harbor a little resentment if and only if i was having a hard time w/the professor. and i'm not saying i'm planning on being all my profs best friend by far, but just acting like another human is present and not some (put your own 'over the top' sounding person/thing here), would be helpful if i'm gonna be adhering to a 'rule' like this. but that's just me. ;D

aj

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 09:51:14 AM »
Jgruber,

I am just a short trip down I-65 in Birmingham.  BSL, is non-ABA, we have a similar attendance policy.  Our mandatory hours of attendance are set by the Alabama Supreme Court. The reason the Supreme Court sets our class hours is that they have the power to grant or repeal our right to sit for the bar.

BSL, is pretty stict about classroom hours.  The school doesn't want to screw up a good thing.  I am sure there are a few people at UA and Cumberland who would like to see our exemption go away.

My legal writing instructor had a habit of ending class about 30 minutes early.  The dean sent himn a nasty note and after that we started staying past the reqiured time.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 09:53:10 AM »
I plan to attend every class I can, even the boring ones.  Actually I plan to stir things up when they get boring.  They will either teach me or kick me out.   :)

This is me too...sure hope we don't end up at the same school together!!  ;D

Karen W.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »
Perhaps NSL is thinking along the same lines.  Be strict to deny critics ammunition.   :)

Jgruber,

I am just a short trip down I-65 in Birmingham.  BSL, is non-ABA, we have a similar attendance policy.  Our mandatory hours of attendance are set by the Alabama Supreme Court. The reason the Supreme Court sets our class hours is that they have the power to grant or repeal our right to sit for the bar.

BSL, is pretty stict about classroom hours.  The school doesn't want to screw up a good thing.  I am sure there are a few people at UA and Cumberland who would like to see our exemption go away.

My legal writing instructor had a habit of ending class about 30 minutes early.  The dean sent himn a nasty note and after that we started staying past the reqiured time. c