Law School Discussion

clarity needed!

clarity needed!
« on: October 07, 2004, 07:55:26 AM »
ok, so i graduated from the university of chicago with a 3.4 and i got a 158 on my Lsat.  and ill have a strong application with good recs and i participated in wrestling in college.   

the schools i am thinking about applying to are iowa, u of I, northcarolina, georgia, and alabama, and possibly vanderbilt. 

I was, however, on my practice tests scoring 160-167, averaging around 164.    Should i retake the test?  what chances realistically do i have of getting into those schools with my current stats? 
any help on one or more of the schools listed above would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

Re: clarity needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 08:01:42 AM »
If you've scored as high as 167, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to retake it, and since you averaged a 164, that would be a huge jump in terms of percentile from where your 158 is. If you're confident you can hit that higher score I'd say you should retake that test.

Re: clarity needed!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 08:08:01 AM »
I'd re-take.  Especially if your first choice is Vanderbilt.  A 3.4 is good but not super strong, and a 158 puts you in barely in the rage for some of the schools you listed (Georgia, UNC, U of I) and actually one point below the median range for Alabama.  And especially if you've been doing significantly better on your practice LSATs -- I'd say go for it!