Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume: prose or bullet points?  (Read 2506 times)

tivoli

• View Profile
Resume: prose or bullet points?
« on: October 07, 2004, 03:21:17 AM »
in the resume you attach to apps, should you use bullet points to list what you did for a certain job, or try to explain the info in phrases? 

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resume: prose or bullet points?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 03:43:52 AM »
bullet points.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 07:40:52 AM »
I don't think anyone ever has the patience to read prose in a resume.  This isn't a biography.

Bulletpoints all the way.

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 07:49:52 AM »
completely agree!

SMarie

• Sr. Citizen
  • age 32, 2.94 UGPA, LSAT 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:40:07 AM »
I think it depends on how long you have been working.  I did mine in prose format simply because there is no way I could fit all of my work experience (10yrs.) on one page if I did bullets.
In:  Univeristy of Baltimore PT
Out:  Catholic PT, Howard...
Pending:  GMU, American and GW (all PT)

buster

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 10:41:56 AM »
I don't mean to be a downer, but to me you should have used more than one page rather than switching to prose.

I think it depends on how long you have been working.  I did mine in prose format simply because there is no way I could fit all of my work experience (10yrs.) on one page if I did bullets.

SMarie

• Sr. Citizen
  • age 32, 2.94 UGPA, LSAT 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 10:53:14 AM »
Why?  You can still skim prose.  All of the examples of resumes I received from Legal Recruiting agencies were in the format I used.  Bullets can't convery everything I want to say in a concise form.

Here's an example of what's on mine:

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:   
United Airlines   Sales Representative/Service Director
Sterling, VA   May 1997 March 2002

Attained fare quotes and answered questions for international passengers; made reservations and sales; utilized resources and resolved customer disputes; assisted fellow agents with technical questions, accessing resources, and problem resolution; supervised the international bookings of other agents; corrected booking errors; customer liaison in helping to resolve travel discrepancies; implemented United Airlines customer service philosophy to ensure passenger satisfaction.

How can I put all of that in bullet format?  This is just one of the three significant jobs I've had since undergrad.  It would take several pages.  I have a whole other section on Legal Experience.
In:  Univeristy of Baltimore PT
Out:  Catholic PT, Howard...
Pending:  GMU, American and GW (all PT)

dta

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 10:57:07 AM »
I prefer bullets, but I think your approach works fine.

I've got a 7-8 year post undergrad work history. I chose bullets, but that forced me to 2 pages. I think it's a personal choice either way - your approach and 1 page, or the bullet approach and 2 pages.

Those just graduating from college don't really understand the dilemma of wanting to get down 7+ years of real, solid work experience on paper. Usually they're trying to FILL one page, not keep it down to one page.

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 11:04:11 AM »
i would not list every responsility you had in this position, but rather take the 3-5 most impressive achievements or responsibilities and turn them into bullet points...you dont really need to tell law schools that you implemented AAs cust. svc. phil.

HTH

Why?  You can still skim prose.  All of the examples of resumes I received from Legal Recruiting agencies were in the format I used.  Bullets can't convery everything I want to say in a concise form.

Here's an example of what's on mine:

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:   
United Airlines   Sales Representative/Service Director
Sterling, VA   May 1997 March 2002

Attained fare quotes and answered questions for international passengers; made reservations and sales; utilized resources and resolved customer disputes; assisted fellow agents with technical questions, accessing resources, and problem resolution; supervised the international bookings of other agents; corrected booking errors; customer liaison in helping to resolve travel discrepancies; implemented United Airlines customer service philosophy to ensure passenger satisfaction.

How can I put all of that in bullet format?  This is just one of the three significant jobs I've had since undergrad.  It would take several pages.  I have a whole other section on Legal Experience.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 11:05:25 AM »
I agree with bullet points. You want it to be short and sweet. No one wants to read paragraphs. Pull the most important three or four things from each job and make them into bullet points. When we get apps at my job for employment, we do not even look at them if there is too much info because a lot of it is useless info.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/