Question about listing hardships - mental illness

Cory

• Greatest. Game. EVER.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Toasty981
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about listing hardships - mental illness
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »
I never said it is.  But during orientation, we were strongly advised against seeking it.  We have to waive the doctor/patient privelege when going up for the bar.  The caution was more to people who will contemplate suicide, or are overly dramatic and tell their therapists that they wanted to kill themselves. 

But we were generally advised against it.

Yeah, sorry, like I said in the edit I didn't mean to say you were saying that.

It just seems like such a potentially harmful thing to tell someone if they really need help. I could see someone who had their heart set on law school hear that and then not seek help because they think they can't take the bar or whatever.It's not like help precludes you from being successful.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 07:31:48 PM »
and under no circumstances should anyone consider seeing a mental health counselor starting now until you pass the bar.

I don't really know how to respond to this, except that you are so wrong. There are things, underlying issues, that you can't get from a self-help book. Why you would discourage people from going to a counselor is beyond me. What is good is having a law degree, your own successful firm, and everything, if you have some serious mental/pyschological illness. And medication is not the solution.

DESI

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 07:35:06 PM »
mental health is a touchy subject.  i was passing along information i was told.  the poster who mentioned full disclosure is absolutely correct.  you disclose mental health, more thamn likely it will not affect you.  you fail to disclose something as asinine as a speeding ticket, you're screwed.

do what you want.  this is the end of my PSA.

i do maintain that this is not a good subject for a PS.  it might reveal your character strenghts, but will not reveal to the LS your intellectual diversity and capability, which I think is what they will be looking for.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 07:47:22 PM »
I'm bi-polar. I'm using that instead of my URM status to steal someone's seat. Being bi-polar is sure to add diversity to any law school's incoming class.

M2

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 07:54:54 PM »
I'm bi-polar. I'm using that instead of my URM status to steal someone's seat. Being bi-polar is sure to add diversity to any law school's incoming class.

Correct me if im wrong...but i heard that being bi-polar could prevent one from sitting the bar in a few states

TheDecline

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 08:05:04 PM »
It can definitely affect your status.  I don't know to what extent.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 08:07:43 PM »

Correct me if im wrong...but i heard that being bi-polar could prevent one from sitting the bar in a few states
LOL...sarcasm is hard to detect over the net.

TheDecline

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
Yes it is.   ;D

M2

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 09:58:40 PM »
actually my response was in jest too.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 08:19:26 AM »
the one thing you should never ever get is mental health counseling.  you have to disclose it to the bar when you apply and it doesn't look good.  though i am totally supportive of mental health patients getting help and succeeding in life, i don't think that this is something you would want to write in your PS about.

and under no circumstances should anyone consider seeing a mental health counselor starting now until you pass the bar.

I'm very disappointed in this aspect of the law profession.  This only encourages people who need help from getting it.  Most will probably be fine lawyers either way, and mental illness shouldn't be a preclusion from practicing law. 

I wonder if, in the long run, this kind of mentality (if you don't talk about it, it's not there) in the law world can be fixed?

ZAP