Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do I do?  (Read 1129 times)

1L2005

• View Profile
What do I do?
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:44:10 AM »
I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I apologize if I get long-winded. I graduated with a B.S. and an M.S., done concurrently. Most students who go through the dual degree program at my school continue to be classified as undergraduates for the length of their stay. For a couple of reasons (mostly to get in-state tuition) I switched my status to be a graduate student for my last four semesters. I just got my transcript back, however, and apparently someone at the school changed me back to an undergrad after my first semester as a graduate student but no one ever noticed.

Now, why this matters. The semester I was counted as a graduate student was not all that great, lower than my cumulative GPA. This actually good for my UGPA b/c it takes out one bad semester. On the other hand though, at the end of my transcript where it shows the combine totals, I have 13 credits as a graduate student with a not so hot GPA.

My question is this, it's going to cost me about $600 to have them change me to a grad student for the semesters after that first one (b/c of back fees that I didn't pay b/c I was charged as an undergrad). Will it be worth it to switch them, knowing that it will lower my UGPA (albeit pretty slightly) while making my grad GPA higher. Or should I just leave it, and include an adendum witht the e-mail from the school admitting that they made a mistake and that I shouldn't have been moved. My thinking is that the UGPA is the most important so it's better to leave it as high as possible, but I'm worried it will look bad to have that one semester as my grad total.

Whew, sorry that was so long. Any and all advice would be much appreciated. I am planning on asking an admissions councelor, but I thought I should seek advice from all sources.

jgomez

Re: What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 10:53:06 AM »
what's the actual numbers, and the difference in change. 

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:22:55 AM »
My overall UGPA is 3.3 (as it stands now).  The semester in question is a 2.8.  I believe if everything is as it should be my overall GGPA and UGPA would both be around a 3.15-3.2.

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 11:30:56 AM »
my opinion is to just leave it and explain it in an addendum.  The difference is not that great, but my uderstanding also is that UGPA is emphasized more.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 11:41:40 AM »
How long have you been out of school? If you have had a real job while you were going for you masters, I would get it changed. The reason for this is because, if you have been out of school for a few years and you got your masters, they will look at your masters GPA as well as your work experience, and focus less on your undergrad gpa. But if you did not work while going for your masters, they will probably focus on your undergrad GPA and masters about equally.

Good luck.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 11:45:13 AM »
Thanks, that's basically what I was leaning towards.  I'm thinking that an addendum for the 2.8 would work as well as anything, and it would save me a lot of money.

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:47:54 AM »
Sorry I was typing and missed that last one.  I've been out of school for two years.  I was doing my masters/bachelors at the same time, or at least overlapping.  I've been working since then, graduated at the same time with both degrees.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 01:50:13 PM »
I have been talking to various admissions counselors as I try to figure out what is the best school and the best way for me to attain my law degree.

I know that most of the people that I talk to in admissions say they will look at the graduate GPA if you have been out of school for a little while, and put more weight on that, than an undergrad. Based on that, you might want to get it changed. But since it is $600 writing an addendum might be the way to go because it would save you money. Maybe you could call a law school you are interested in, and ask their opinion.

Good luck :)

I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 02:07:31 PM »
That's a good idea to talk to my potential schools.  They may have differing opinions on the matter.  I guess it's not something I have to decide right now, I have a couple of months to research it before I have to make a decision.  Thanks for the advice, and good luck to you as well!

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:55:21 PM »
Were your degrees given at the same time? I talked to LSAC reps last week and the rep stated that the LSAC GPA coverage period will be all courses up until the granting of the first undergraduate degree. I.e. I got my B.S. and MBA in a total of five years, with the first three years being undergrad and then the last two being graduate. However, although I was finished with undergrad after three high intensity years, my undergrad degree was granted at the end of five years at the same time as my MBA. Since I took all the undergrad and grad classes before the date of granting of the undergrad degree, my GPA will be calculated for all classes regardless of how I was classified as a graduate student or undergraduate student. Therefore, your situation sounds the same. Your GPA with this in mind should be all classes until the undergraduate degree was granted. I had a 3.65 undergrad in the three years and a 3.94 for the last two years, combining for a projected LSAC GPA of 3.75, actually helping my cause here, and then I can still have my 3.94 graduate GPA on apps too!

Hope this helps.

I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I apologize if I get long-winded. I graduated with a B.S. and an M.S., done concurrently. Most students who go through the dual degree program at my school continue to be classified as undergraduates for the length of their stay. For a couple of reasons (mostly to get in-state tuition) I switched my status to be a graduate student for my last four semesters. I just got my transcript back, however, and apparently someone at the school changed me back to an undergrad after my first semester as a graduate student but no one ever noticed.

Now, why this matters. The semester I was counted as a graduate student was not all that great, lower than my cumulative GPA. This actually good for my UGPA b/c it takes out one bad semester. On the other hand though, at the end of my transcript where it shows the combine totals, I have 13 credits as a graduate student with a not so hot GPA.

My question is this, it's going to cost me about $600 to have them change me to a grad student for the semesters after that first one (b/c of back fees that I didn't pay b/c I was charged as an undergrad). Will it be worth it to switch them, knowing that it will lower my UGPA (albeit pretty slightly) while making my grad GPA higher. Or should I just leave it, and include an adendum witht the e-mail from the school admitting that they made a mistake and that I shouldn't have been moved. My thinking is that the UGPA is the most important so it's better to leave it as high as possible, but I'm worried it will look bad to have that one semester as my grad total.

Whew, sorry that was so long. Any and all advice would be much appreciated. I am planning on asking an admissions councelor, but I thought I should seek advice from all sources.