Law School Discussion

(Almost) complete list of questions for RC passage #4

(Almost) complete list of questions for RC passage #4
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:52:49 PM »

This is a list of the questions I can remember -- I'm missing one.  Maybe you guys can help fill it in, or correct me on the exact wording or answer choices of the others.
I thought this might be helpful to people who are trying to figure out what they missed in RC.

MODERN ARCHITECTURE

1.  What is the purpose of the passage?
    (I put "to explain the decline of a movement")

2.  What is most similar to the relationship between 19th and 20th century architecture?
    (this is the one with answer choices like "handmade dresses are more tailored than machine-made ones,"... "Computer-typed letters generate more responses than typewritten ones", etc.  General consensus is that the answer was (A).)

3.  What is the author’s attitude towards the modernist architecture movement?
   (Consensus is "unimpressed," with "exasperated" being a close second and "forbearing" trailing behind)

4.  Which phrase from the passage best sums up the author’s opinion of modernists? 
    Consensus is “conveniently.”

5.  What was the role of Frank Lloyd Wright? (Not sure about the exact wording here)
    I think the consensus is that he was touted by the modernists as being representative of their movement, even though he wasn't.

6.  How would author describe modernism? (Again, not sure about the wording -- but I think it was the last question)
    I chose “aesthetically minded”

Re: (Almost) complete list of questions for RC passage #4
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 06:05:50 PM »
what is the other one? What number was the question that was answered conveniently? what were some of the other answer choices for that one?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 06:07:37 PM »
what is the other one? What number was the question that was answered conveniently? what were some of the other answer choices for that one?

I can't remember the question # of the "conveniently" one.  I do remember that it was one of the later questions (not 1-3, at least) and that one of the other answer choices was "tended".

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »
Oh crap, now i'm confused.

I remember something about zippers made by assembly line are more irregular than those made by hand.  Was that an answer in the compare 19th and 20th century question?

Or was it a separate question asking for a analagy to construction problems for modern arch.?

I know I picked something about zippers, must have missed at least one here.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:10:41 PM »
6.  How would author describe modernism? (Again, not sure about the wording -- but I think it was the last question) I chose “aesthetically minded”

I don't know what I put, but it definitely wasn't "aesthetically minded".  Anyone else got an answer?

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 11:50:56 PM »
6.  How would author describe modernism? (Again, not sure about the wording -- but I think it was the last question) I chose “aesthetically minded”

I don't know what I put, but it definitely wasn't "aesthetically minded".  Anyone else got an answer?

I wish I could remember the other choices... but, "aesthetically minded" does seem to fit -- I thought the author's point was that the modernists' designs weren't all that impressive because they sacrificed functionality (and economy) for ideological aesthetic concerns.