Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice on schools  (Read 1385 times)

Guy Incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Need advice on schools
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:34:38 PM »
Worried I might be making a mistake here.

I was planning on applying to only one school (UGA).  Long story, but i haven't really decided if I want to go to law school or not.  I finished undergrad way, way back in 1994 so i've been working and currently live in Georgia.  Therefore i'm paying for this out of pocket and state school seems the easiest on the old wallet. 

In state is like $8K where out of state is something like $25K.  Big difference over 3 years, but someone mentioned that after the first year you can qualify for in state tuition at most schools.  True?  Depend on the school?

Not keen on more student loans as i just finished paying off Wash U undergrad, whew.

I probably should apply to a few others just in case I really decide i want to go and don't get accepted at UGA. 

My GPA at Wash U (St. Louis) was 3.45 (Chemical Eng).

Lsat should be 165 - 170 ish.  Maybe more maybe less.  If it is under the 90% i'll take it again in december i think, but i'm pretty sure it will be over that. 

Any thought would be appreciated.  I'm figuring this stuff out as I go along.
"It's okay, I saw an episode of Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on, but I got the gist of it" - Lionel Hutz

FSF17

Re: Need advice on schools
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:47:08 PM »
I'm not sure, but the only places that charge more for out-of-staters are public schools. Unless its UM, UVA, UT, Boalt, ect, then I'd think UGA would be the better choice, especially if you plan to live in GA after graduation.

Guy Incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 08:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely going the public school route.  Did the private school thing for undergrad, now considering the taxes i've paid in almost 10 years of working i'm looking for a little State U discount. 

I'll probably apply to Illinois too (home state).  Maybe pay a year of out of state (ouch).
"It's okay, I saw an episode of Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on, but I got the gist of it" - Lionel Hutz

dunson

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:58:18 AM »
perhaps if you apply to another state's public school you could defer admission for a year and hope to find a job and live there for a year to establish residency

davial0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:37:23 AM »
You could also try Georgia State, I am pretty sure they are public and have a good reputation in GA

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 10:43:05 AM »
I think it depends on the state.  For instance, it's pretty easy to get residency in Ohio and California.  Much harder in Texas and Michigan, from what I've heard.  It does vary.  If I were you, I'd contact the admissions offices at the various schools you're interested and see what it would take.

ZAP

DESI

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 12:34:16 PM »
you have better #'s than me and i'm up the highway at Emory.  UGA places well in Atlanta, especially since midsized/smaller firms refuse to hire Emory grads bc we are too uppity for them and they think we're itching to get back to NY/Miami, etc.  UGA also places well in biglaw in Atlanta.  If I had been a GA resident, then I might have gone there.  I was accepted.  Tuition is damn cheap.  Women in Athens are hot and dumb too.

Guy Incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 10:49:20 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who have helped me out on this. 

I really was going to apply to only 1 school.  Seems stupid now. 

Anyway, great site and people are helpful.