Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worst LR Question EVER!!!  (Read 2656 times)

dta

Worst LR Question EVER!!!
« on: March 23, 2004, 02:19:29 AM »
I'm currently studying with the book "LSAT Success 2004" from publishers "Thomson/Peterson's". I've bought just about every prep book published. This is by far the WORST book I have read. Consider this question from one of the Logical Reasoning sections of one of the practice tests in the book:

===============================
Compared to a carnivore, an herbivore needs relatively few pounds of plants as food to be able to produce a pound of protein. Since carnivores feed on both herbivores and other carnivores, the accumulated consumption of thousands of pounds of plants is needed for a carnivore to produce a pound of protein.

This argument is best completed by which of the following?

(A) Herbivores produce protein faster than carnivores.
(B) A pound of carnivore protein has more food value than a pound of herbivore protein.
(C) The impact of people on plan resources would be much less if they substituted chicken for tuna in their diets.
(D) Carnivores' diets consist of more plants than meat.
(E) Chickens are a cheaper source of food than tuna.
=======================================

The credited response is C!! This is not a typo! The author even tries to explain why this is right!

I've never encountered a question on a real LSAT where, after some post-exam thought, I couldn't come to see why the credited response is actually right. Not so with this. It's ludicrous. Lots more f'd up questions like these. Avoid it.

jgomez

Re: Worst LR Question EVER!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 08:50:25 AM »
this is a real LSAT question or one that peterson co made up?

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 08:55:55 AM »
this has to be made up.  it does not sound like a real LSAT question.  id be very surpised if it was.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 09:13:54 AM »
did they consult jessica simpson? lol :)

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 12:14:31 PM »
o and just for some unsolicited advice, DTA.  dont waste your time with these types of hairbrained testpreps.  if you have problems with games, use the logic games bible, for LR and RC, i wouls start with the NOVA book.

that being said, none of these resources will do nearly as much as what you will gain from taking actual timed tests.  buy all the actual LSAT tests you can, actual LSAT questions are very different from any i have found in test prep books.  i have gone thru kaplan, PR, and NOVA.  plus the LG bible.

dta

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 06:08:10 PM »
This was not a real LSAT question. It was a "made up" question by the author of the book - a Mr. Thomas White.

Yes, I know previously released LSAT's are the way to guy and i've actually purchased every single one of them. But at my current rate (1 LSAT every 1 or 2 days) i would run out of real LSAT's too soon before the June exam. So I like to supplement my practice with practice exams from various books. Some are good (the PrincetonReview and Kaplan books had good simulation questions), but some are really bad.

mrserious67502

• 167/3.83 "The Dude abides"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:06:07 PM »
I bought that same book because it was cheap. I wanted to burn the book after I read that question.  Oh, and if you haven't noticed, there are quite a number of typos throughout the book.

Shock, everyone wants to make a buck off of LSAT prep.

Yellow Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 07:47:05 PM »
There is a point to this question (even though this example is a bit extreme). On some lsat questions a medicore answer is correct because the other options are all inconsistent with the facts/logic. Even though the final correct answer sucked, it didn't contradict with the information provided.

The question is a bad one though.

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 04:45:45 PM »
Actually, I think that the questions is not that bad. There is much sense in it, if you think about it a lot, and I underline the 'a lot'.
By the way, how many months in advace do you suggest studying for the LAST, and in which year of College. Do you suggest studying it just in your last summer in college and register for the first exam in fall.

dta

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 08:22:52 PM »
There may be a way to convince oneself that the credited response is somehow the right answer. But the point is that this question in no way resembles any real LSAT question i've yet encountered on the dozen or so practice LSAT exams i've taken. When I buy an LSAT prep book it's not so that I can figure out how to answer whatever wacky questions the author can come up with, it's so that i can answer LSAT questions. And to the extent that the author constructs questions which are unrepresentative of the LSAT, to that same extent he is doing a disservice to his customer.