Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mensa and the LSAT  (Read 2397 times)

jgruber

Re: Mensa and the LSAT
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 12:32:57 PM »
I was in Mensa for a short time, but did not attend any gatherings.  I was put off by the literature I received after joining.  Not to insult anyone, but to be honest, they were IQ snobs, meaning that high IQ was the greatest determinant (did I get that right) for the 'goodness' of a person.  I know that's a little vague, but I'm trying to describe a feeling from 25 years ago.   :)

Mensa is not for assholes.
I am a Mensan.
I got 156 which is the top 1% on the Raven's Progressive Matrices test.
Most folks in Mensa does not think they are geniuses,
and Mensa itself does not state that it is a community for "geniuses" or "the gifted."
Mensans are aware of that Mensa is just a "high IQ society."
They also are aware of the most of the IQ tests have not much predictive validity.
People with high "scores" in IQ tests, nothing else.
Mensa is not for self-esteem. I am in Mensa just because I like to meet people.
There are a bunch of societies out there require much high IQ scores.
For example, Mega Society(http://www.megasociety.net) requires top 0.1% IQ (IQ 175 in LAIT).

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mensa and the LSAT
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 03:46:31 PM »
I can't see belonging to an orginization that is founded simply on people having very high IQs.

If these people's IQs are so high why aren't they doing something more important with their time than just belonging to an elite group that doesn't do much.

People who think they are smart but are bored enough to be involved in this don't seem that smart to me. No matter what their IQ test says.